Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to this forum. This is the BEST one for snowmobiling I have came across. Thank You !! My problem I am having is I ride a Polaris 2001 EdgeX 600. Whenever I try to ride in a icey condition I heat up in seconds but if I come across any snow im just fine. My buddies ride ski-doo summit 700's and they never have a problem. Is there something I can do to be able to ride?

Winners never quit, Quitters never win !!!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Do you have a studded track? Sometimes studs help because they break off little ice chips and help to cool.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
umm sorry I read it twice but don't understand. Are you overheating? you are saying that on ice it heats up and overheats? But when you get into the snow it cools down? Thats cause snowmobile heat exchangers work with snow hitting them and in these unusually warm conditions lately and little snow warm running sleds arenm't uncommon. Does that help?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I think SledDog hit it on the head...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Are the exchanges just in the tunnel on that or are they on the foot rails as well for that sled?

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:

umm sorry I read it twice but don't understand. Are you overheating? you are saying that on ice it heats up and overheats? But when you get into the snow it cools down? Thats cause snowmobile heat exchangers work with snow hitting them and in these unusually warm conditions lately and little snow warm running sleds arenm't uncommon. Does that help?

[/quote] Sorry about the babbling like a little schoolgirl. I just came back from what was to be a weekend of riding at a friends cabin. Where I ended up staying cuz my sled would overheat a few minutes into the trail. Now that we have the overheating thing squared away my question is. Is there anything I could do to my machine to make me run cooler in these conditions? Such as a cooler thermostat or plugs? Bigger water pump?

Winners never quit, Quitters never win !!!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well, first i would say if your engine is running at the optimum air/fuel mix, you could try to richen it up a little. That should help a little bit, but you will lose performance. You might try and add another heat exchanger...im not sure if there is such a thing or not but i seem to remember someone else talking about adding another one to their sled. Different sparkplugs wont make a difference, and unless your thermostat is stuck closed a cooler one wont make a difference either. Although a bigger water pump MAY help the problem, i dont think you would be able to find such a monster. You should also probably check the actual temp of the engine to make sure your temp sending unit is working correctly.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
This I believe is common to the edges, I have one and ride with three other people who own them too. The best advice I have is to try and dip into a little bit of snow if posible, if anything throw snow onto your exchangers yourself.

·
Registered
948 Posts
they make 'ice scratchers' Nothing fancy just spring steel bars that kick ice/snow shavings into the track to get some added cooling. Might be a good addition if you ride those conditions often.

Check 'em out: http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/MiddleRedirect?page=148.html

Go to the bottom of the page. Prices are in CDN funds.

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts