Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I need heavy duty torsion springs for my 99 RMK. I'm not a small guy (6'6" 240) and I'm constantly bottoming out. Polaris offers only 2 springs, stock .359 & optional .375. Not alot bigger. Will these larger springs help, or are there bigger ones out there. Should I go with a spring / specific shock combo? All shocks are stock currently.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
get the heavy duty ones ,I'm 6-7 and 290 and is the first thing i have to do

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea I agree, 225 here and its not the shocks fault. Its the springs. I went with the heavier ones and lonve them.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I beleive for that year you can get springs off off a Trail touring model. I may be wrong but I have done that to my 06 Trail RMK and it is good. So hope I have helped.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The .375 would be perfect for your weight. .359 seems pretty small for a stock spring.

I just picked up a new set of .375's for my 04'. I'm 6'4" 240ish... mid-setting on the adjuster block gives me almost 4" of sag (recommended).

Any stiffer spring will make your rear suspension rock hard (tried that too)...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, It just didn't seem that big of a difference between .359 & .375. I guessed wrong it seems. I will try out the bigger set.
Thanks again

·
Registered
577 Posts
Originally posted by supersport17
[br]i just got new heavy duty springs. do i need to drop the track to put them on and if so what else do i need to do
You need to drop the rear of the track to get the old ones off and put the new ones on.
Make sure you put them on the correct side.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Originally posted by supersport17
[br]is it easy to rebiuld a shock or should it be done by a professional
Shocks should be done by a professional. There is equipment needed to safely discharge the pressure in the shock. As well as have the proper tools to take them apart and the parts needed to rebuild the internals. Of course charging them up requires special equipment as well.
So, unless you have all the needed tools and equipment..and the know-how.... It is best done by a knowledgable shop.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I stepped up to the heavy torsion springs in my XCR. I bent one of the stockers and then it popped of the wheel and Seriously F#$%ed up my rail. I have not bottomed much since. The soft setting on the heavy spring seems about equal to the stiff on the stock spring. I have them in the medium position now, and cranked up the front track shock and ifs springs in front a little too, but I jump quite a bit.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well got my heavy duty springs on and here are a couple of pics. I used .405 springs for my sled.
[attachment=54841][attachment=54856]

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.405"? Polaris only shows .375" for mine. Are yours aftermarket? If so where did you get them.
Thanks

·
Registered
999 Posts
They are Polaris springs, they are not for a RMK they are for a Trail Touring Sled. They are the stock Springs that come on a Trail touring Delux. They fit you may have to check to make sure they are the same mounting positions and all. It is a two up sled so they are stiffer then others. I think this will be too stiff for what you are looking for. I am 6'2" and I weigh 300lbs and it is stiff for me so I think it will be too stiff for you.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see, I'm only 6'6" 250, so I will try out the .375's Thanks ( yes gained 10 lbs already!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts