Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use that fuel additive called HEET (essentially alcohol) to rid my fuel of water? Or is this bad for a 2 cycle? Thanks, JH

·
Registered
837 Posts
not all alcohols are the same u want to use some like iso heat, specifically isopropyol alcohol or exacty isopropanol, there are other brands that use methanol or methol alcohol, that is a strong solvent and it is very hard on rubber seals in the carbs and it is hard on the cranks seals, another thing to mention is never use the gas with 10% methanol same stuff hard on the seal, and accually the isopropyl alcohol work better to bond with the water then the methanol, and you know rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol but the concentration is 70% alcohol and 30% water, so you can use it but some of it absorbance is already used, so get the iso heat product or something with iso alcohol. hope that answers your question

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
yup, go w/ the isopropyl stuff, that is what my dealer told me to use a few years ago

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I never use the other stuff, I herd aboutit blowing engines. Remember even with the isopropyl stuff you don't need to put a lot of it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you stick with the HEET brand you wont have a problem. I normaly use a half bottle per tank when I use it.

It is also a good idea to strain your fuel through a chammey (SP) funnel. Last year we went ridding in to the cabin and stoped to fuel the trucks, machines, and fill four 15 gal drums. It was about -10 and when we went to top off the machines out of the drums the next day I noticed some sludge in the drums. We used the filter and found that the sludge was ice, a lot of it. Well we dont get gas from that store anymore.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i just went and looked at a old bottle of heet that ii have and it has methal alcohol you don't want to use that, unless they change to iso alcohol, it will work but it will start to affect the seals in the long run. and anyway the iso workes better anyway. trust me

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I would check to see the max. percentage of ethanol/alcohol the manufacterer recommends. Usually it is 10%max. Check to see how much is in the gas you are using. It is usually posted on the pump. If your gas already has a 10% blend in it you are exceeding that by adding the Iso-Heet.Here is another alternative:
http://www.coffeydistributing.com/atv/stadri.htm

·
Registered
837 Posts
ethanol and isopropanol have different properties, and running ethanol is not very good either to run, it burns different, i can remember exactly but but it can mess up the compustion or something like that

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I live in an area where reformulated gasoline is mandatory. The stuff is garbage! 10% ethanol blend. however I do not use it in any of my 2- stroke motors. A 20 minute drive and I can get the good gasoline.Most of my riding is done in central/northern WI where RFG is not used. In one of my cars I get 3mpg less using RFG. Have not checked the other 2. If every car is getting less mpg with the carbage stuff we are burning more. I wonder how much cleaner the air is really?? That's the government and the EPA for you.Here is a link to check and see if your in a crap gas area:

http://www.npradc.org/pdf/bb/us_fuels_map.pdf

It is in adobe pdf format.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a liter of isoproplyn from the drug storefor $2.00 it is99% alcohal I think it will work and it is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hey Willson I think you will have a big suprise if you put that stuff in.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
If he got it at the drug store it's that alcohol you use to get the fake tattos off little kids.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i don't think he will want to use it either, you can only use the gas addatives that are made of isopropanol and thats it, and thing else will not work or is harmful to some of the components

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think he will blow his motor if he uses that stuff, the stuff you buy for the gas can blow your motor. (if you put a lot of it)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ya, I put about 1/4 of one of the small containers about every 2 or 3 fill ups depending on the weather.

·
Registered
82 Posts
around here we use a product called Sea Foam, it is a moisture conditioner, cleaner, stabilizer, and it is a petroleum base,it works wonders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts