Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an slp 52/34 progressive helix. They recommend this helix for 0-5000ft. 0-3000ft in preload setting #2, and setting #3 for 3-5000ft. Above 5000ft they recommend a 48/36 helix.

I am now riding from 5500-10000ft with the 52/34 in the #3 hole.

Am I correct to assume that the 48/36 keeps the secondary closed more to keep it geared lower at higher elevations when it makes less power? (for lack of better wording). This would make it feel more responsive? And, increasing the spring tension is a way to fine tune each helix. More tension of higher elevation, and less tension for lower elevation?

Could I possibly get away with maxing out the preload on my 52/34? Or, will it still feel too sluggish? Does this affect maximum rpms also?

Just trying to figure out how these things work.[:D]

Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
good questions. i was thinking of asking the same sort of questions, except my case is i am running at low elevations and i have bumped my spring to hole #3 just becasue i put a 1.5" track on and there is a lot more torque needed to really spin the track. i think the idea behind moving it up a notch is that it is keeping the sled in a lower gear helping me to really get the power down to the track, and then i geuss it just takes longer to shift into the higher gear once the speed is up. that's my thoughts on the secondary clutch.-Adam

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Moving the spring up one notch in the helix will slow the up shift to rpms that are 200-300 RPM higher, if I remember correct. After calibrating my tach I also have to move up one notch. It was spot on before, but after calibrating it is about 200 RPM low on up shift and spot on peak RPM on long pulls.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yes and no. yes in the fact that the smaller helix slows the shift to keep rpms the same with lack of power in elevation.

·
Registered
282 Posts
that seems strange you would use a bigger finish at higher altitude,you would have to try it,possible it might work because half way thru th 52=43* and the48=42* so if you werent running more than half your possible speed you would be on the 42 instead of 43,more than half your possible speed would put you in the steeper helix which doesnt make sesse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts