Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys so i have two helixes in my garage and i have no clue what numbers they are and i dont even know what the numbers mean, i dont know what the wholes in the helix mean either. i also have three different colored secondary springs. if i post up pictures could somebody maybe help me with what they are and what i should use??? i will post the pics tomoro. this would help me out a lot!

·
Registered
393 Posts
motorheaderr said:
okay guys so i have two helixes in my garage and i have no clue what numbers they are and i dont even know what the numbers mean, i dont know what the wholes in the helix mean either. i also have three different colored secondary springs. if i post up pictures could somebody maybe help me with what they are and what i should use??? i will post the pics tomoro. this would help me out a lot!
What type of sled and what color springs?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You gotta help us so we can help you.
What are the numbers on the helixes? What color springs? Need more info and pictures before we can help.

The different holes in the helix are for changing the preload torsion of the secondary spring. Winding it tighter provides better backshift but eats your belt faster. For stock Polaris helixes, #1 hole is low preload and #5 is high preload. The #2 hole is most often used by riders, but some prefer the #3 hole.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well, the helix's have a little number (should be on the part itself), let us know what they are or post a pic... the springs may be a little difficult since many manufacturers produce springs with the same colors. Post the pics of the helix first, then post as much info on the springs as you know. This will help us to help you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay i am at school at this moment, so when i get home i will take pictures and post them up asap.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay guys heres what i got..

20101213222823626_27459.jpg
these are my primary springs i have,( from left to right) the stock spring i had in the sled to start, then a light blue, another form of blue that is pretty much like stock, a yellow with green line on it, and an all white, they do get taller in size from left to right. the tallest spring i have is on my sled right now it is all silver and engages at about 4700 rpm.

20101213222815251_27459.jpg
these are the secondary springs i have, the blue one(far right) is the thickest and tallest, also very hard to compress, the red is a little shorter but very easy to compress and the black is very short and compressing wise is between the two in stiffness. if i can remember i think my buddy told me the black one is a speedwerx spring

20101213222729517_27459.jpg

20101213222746642_27459.jpg
here are both helixes next to each other, the dark one is an HRP helix, and the chrome one is not stamped, neither have numbers on them so i am sitting in the dark here with which one to use.

2010121322287204_27459.jpg

2010121322280173_27459.jpg
here are side views of both the helixes.. could some one please tell me what helix they think is better for what type of riding and pros and cons of each.

thank you much if you take your time to help me out here.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry that i couldnt give you any more info on what the spring ratings are and what the helix numbers are, but i would muchly appreciate it if some one could help me out here with what setup i should use. also my sled is a 200 xc sp 500

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm guessing the silver helix is an EPI, but that doesn't help.
We can't tell you what to use if none of us know what rates, angles, or brands any of the springs or helixes are. The only thing you can do is A LOT of trial and error, trying out each component. If you do that, only change one component at a time so you can see how that component affects the drive system, and you know what works better and what works worse compared to the stock set up.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The Hot Seat should be stamped on back side by snap ring, and the silver one would be an EPI if hub is aluminum.

You can wrap wrap helix in tracing paper and using a pencil define ramp edge. Unfold tracing paper and measure angles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the silver helix is EPI and the black helix is HRP. would any one be able to tell me how aggressive the helixes are just by looking at the angle of them?.. and what is the difference of a short weak secondary spring vs a longer stronger spring?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you know anything could you tell me asap, i am headin out of town for awhile and i would like to do this before i leave.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
motorheaderr said:
so the silver helix is EPI and the black helix is HRP. would any one be able to tell me how aggressive the helixes are just by looking at the angle of them?.. and what is the difference of a short weak secondary spring vs a longer stronger spring?
It's pretty tough to tell a difference between two angles that are two degrees apart; that samll of a difference in ramp angle is enough to chang the performance. None of us will be able to tell you what is more aggressive because none of us know what helixes they are.

use this to tell what angles you have:
View attachment 2010916191313949_23360.pdf

Steep angles give good holeshot, but give poor backshift. shallow angles are just the opposite. this is why aggressive helixes use dual or progressive angle, they start out steep and get shallow. To me, it looks like the EPI is a straight angle and the HRP is dual angle with a steep initial angle. You will have to measure them yourself to find out though.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what exactly is the backshift, i know partyially its when your secondary pushes out but what makes this happen and what does the backshift mean?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what exactly is the backshift, i know partyially its when your secondary pushes out but what makes this happen and what does the backshift mean?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that paper i printed off is 4 inches tall and is way over the height off the helix is only 2 and ahalf inches tall so it wont match well with any of the lines

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just my opinion but the silver helix looks like a factory Polaris straight helix.If it is it should/may have a small round circle on the backside with probally a 34 in the middle.The other one I think may be a black magic helix and should be marked also on the backside maybe with 2 numbers like 50and 34 or something like that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
neither of the helixes have a single mark on them at all except for the black one, it has HRP stamped in the back. i tried putting the hrp( the dark one) on the senonndary and is extremely snug on the shaft so i dont think im going to be using that one. so all i wana know is what the difference in secondary springs are.. the spring that was in my sled was silver with a blue stripe, which is very long, i have three others that are smaller. what does a small secondary spring do vs a long one????????????

20101214164547907_27459.jpg
this is the smallest secondary spring i have and the biggest.. what is roughly the difference of the two?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also i would like to know what the different lengths in planes on the top of the helixes mean?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Just keep the blue/silver, it is a good spring. You should also have the R8 helix stock, which is also a very good helix. Leave it stock before you start changing things when you don't know what it will change.

A short spring will be stiffer than a longer spring if they BOTH have the same number of coils. If two springs are the same length, the one with less coils (more spacing between the coils) will be stiffer. It is tough to tell which spring is stiffer because they don't share similar traits. In secondary springs, the spring not only compresses, but it also twists. So the resistance of twisting is another factor.

Backshifting is the sled's ability to "downshift". That is when you slow down into a corner, and accelerate back out; good backshifting will keep the RPMs in the powerband the whole time, instead of trying to accelerate from low speed while in "high gear." Backshifting also happens when you hit deep powder or when you start climbing a hill.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the helix i took out is the R8. but i do want to try out some different things to see what happens since i dont really know what will happen with all these springs and helixes.. the chrome helix(not the R8) is a gradual incline, which i have been told is going to take away bottom end and give a better backshift. i think im going to try the HRP helix( the black one) with the silver and blue spring which is stock im guessing. what would be your guesses on what would happen if i put the small black spring in with the stock R8 clutch?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts