Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been out of sleds for about 15 years. Use to drag race Vintage sleds. Retired now from work. Sold my Anderson sleds etc.... So for fun I bought a old 9500 Blizzard just for a fun project to keep busy LOL.... Nothing serious for competition, just a fun toy.... Few pics as I back yard build it LOL....
Vintage Drag Sled Build. 721 CrankShop Rotax Open Mod. Heavy Mod. Outlaw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wahl Bros. Drag Skis. 670 from old Mach 1

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of my old stuff LOL.... My vintage

WOW you have lot of pics, links, etc.... You are a fanatic :)

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats that Black Cat sled in your pics Stevem5215 ? Sleds have come a long ways. I had a old 96 ZR 580 EFI given to me last year. Had a HUGE hole in bottom case LOL.. I rebuilt it. Was VERY surprised how a 580 could run. It's that EFI compared to carbs... If everything is correct it never misses a beat on air/fuel mix.... But I'm old school carb guy LOL... That ZR is one HEAVY BEAR.... But with the EFI I think it would beat my wifes 98 583 MXZ...

Sorry pics out of order LOL..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never trail rode sleds before LOL... I like watching trail ride videos on youtube. Back in late 70's I was at a Mower shop getting parts for a John Deere.. Way up high on a shelf was a 76 340 Skidoo RV Sled. I asked what it was? guy said oh you don't want that, can't ride trails with it. I bought it !!! LOL... Thing got stuck in yard with foot of snow screaming and digging down LOL. Then I was at a boat marina for parts late fall. Saw a sign for Ice Drags on lake. Went and watched them. I WAS HOOKED !!! I was so uninformed back then learning I thought the vest was for incase ya fall through the ice drown LOL... See ya, Thanks for reading LOL, Terry..............
Anderson Mod. Terry Ellis.JPG

·
Super Moderator
19 Posts
Yep, that was my 04' ZR900 EFI. I put a T660 hood on it and had some custom graphics. Put 14,500mi on that sled and drag raced it a few times too. Stock class (had Vforce III) reeds and a SLP Y pipe and can were the only mods. Did a 6.3 sec run in 500ft with it. Not super fast compared to moded sleds but it was fast enough for me to have some fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GEEZ that stuff is crazy now days.... Seen some new Yamaha with turbo? thing hit like 140mph LOL I thought in 500ft vintage at around 90 was fast LOL...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yep, that was my 04' ZR900 EFI. I put a T660 hood on it and had some custom graphics. Put 14,500mi on that sled and drag raced it a few times too. Stock class (had Vforce III) reeds and a SLP Y pipe and can were the only mods. Did a 6.3 sec run in 500ft with it. Not super fast compared to moded sleds but it was fast enough for me to have some fun!

Can have all the H.P. in the world but get ya nowhere still.... It's all in the clutching, primary, secondary, gearing, pitch of track, drive wheels etc... at 500ft... Been there, Done that, learned that years ago losing with Nice motors LOL... With drag sled setup ( suspension, wheels, etc..) ya want to just about be able to spin the track good foot or more with only to fingers...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It started !!! LOL.... Good sign for now LOL...

Lots more motor work yet, But it STARTED LOL.... so I can finish it now. I gotta put the crank Shop pipes on, The duel fuel pumps, do some clean wiring, and put the UNI air filters on. Little fine tuning and she is done. VIDEO here:

Pics here: Vintage Drag Sled Build. 721 CrankShop Rotax Open Mod. Heavy Mod. Outlaw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts