Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I noticed that there are alot of experienced sledders here and thought this would be the place to ask this and future questions.........

I have 2 arctic cat pantera 580 twins (efi) that I bought new in 2001. I only have 90 miles on them,alot of trails were closed around where i live last season) So I need to know if I have to change any fluids and what could happen if I don't.Also the dealer says i can keep the efi fuel designation connector ...connected but my cat manual says otherwise as long as the gas used does not contain mtbe or ethanol.I live in Green bay wi and am not sure if the gas here contains these.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
welcome to the forum. The coolant, the oil and chain case oil should be fine. obviously check levels though. I think I would consider changing the gas and get some fresh in there. Cant answer the type of gas in Wi question but some one will. Were they stored in a dry place. if not some suspension bearings or shafts might need a little attention.

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the advice.I got a little rust on the shock shafts but no leakage!!
I will change the gas like you say ,I probably need to buy a hand pump to get the gas out..I don't think i'll try the traditional way of siphening :)

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
MTBE us no longer being used WI due to cancer causing agents. Your gasoline does have Ethanol in it. Next time you are at a gas station, take a look at the pump. There should be a sticker on it with the max. % of Ethanol in it.

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
412 Posts
There is a syphon hose you can buy that has a brass fitting with a glass ball inside it. You shake it up and down inside the tank to start the siphon action. It works really well and sells for about $8 in Ontario.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
There is also a little pump you cdan buy for around 5$, its a hose with a ball near the end, you sqeeze it, and it pumps the gas out. Also whatever you choose to use, keep it in your sled. If you ever run out of gas you'll be glad you have it.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definately put all the good advice to good use ..thanks. I want to know just one more thing,If the gas i use has ethanol in it ,should i disconnect the fuel designation connector as stated in manual.Because i have already put on 90 miles with it connected,dealer says it's ok but the manual say engine damage could occur.Who do i believe???

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I personally would listen to the manual. Since the manual comes direct from the manufacturer.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would make a few calls... Another dealer or even AC. And get a second opinion. :)

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts