Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!!, just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Steve and I live in central NH. Last year I bought my 2001 ZR 800 off a friend and family mechanic. He upgraded the sled to efi and put in ACT adjustable suspension. What a fun sled! It has some issues though; out of the efi box there is a wire coming out that does not connect anywhere ( can get some pictures if needed). Also last season I noticed some bogging/hesitation when riding at slower speed shortly after the sled has warmed up. The machine also doesn't start right up first or second pull when cold like I hear it's supposed to with the efi. Might all these things be related? Any experience or insights would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
we have a 98 zr600 efi and it has some low end bogging, it does start by the thrid pull unless its been sitting a long time, like over a week, picture probably would be helpful, i would say they are all related except maybe the wire, check the compression after the sled has warmed up, should be around 120 on both

and welcome to the site, lots of great people on here with tons of knowledge, someone will figure out the problem

is it the batteryless efi, they have lots of stator issues, we ut 2 in ours while we have had it, and bogging could maybe be week spark

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
The unknown wire could be for your ethanol switch, in which case there should be a spot to plug it in somewhere. You unplug the wire if you run fuel with over 10% ethanol, plug it in for 10% or less. It may have been unplugged at one time, and not knowing what it was, it was left that way. By unplugging it, you simply add more fuel to prevent lean conditions. The wire may be something else though, hard to say without seeing it...

How many pulls does it take to start when it is cold? I usually pull the rope slowly for two pulls with my sleds. This helps prime the system, and almost always starts on the third pull this way. I also have a '98 ZR6 efi that has been known to take 5 pulls some days. It got better after I removed my V-Force reeds though, for whatever reason.

The bogging could be a few different things. Check out THIS thread if you have time. May help solve the problem.

Lastly, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dodgetruck2 and quinlan for getting back to me. I was looking at the other thread that talked about the the TSS, thanks quinlan. It might be a dumb question, but does the tss come into the efi box? that could be the extra wire I don't know about. I will get some pictures up too. Also I was wondering if on these high-power sleds if there is a problem with carbon buildup in the engine that could be part of the problem. Because I am not a speed-demon the engine does not run at high rpm for too long had it up to 85-90 last season. Just not sure if these engines need to rev high or carbon will collect? Also just out of curiosity I was looking for some info as to the compression ratio on these engines, just to know.

dodgetruck2 said:
we have a 98 zr600 efi and it has some low end bogging, it does start by the thrid pull unless its been sitting a long time, like over a week, picture probably would be helpful, i would say they are all related except maybe the wire, check the compression after the sled has warmed up, should be around 120 on both

and welcome to the site, lots of great people on here with tons of knowledge, someone will figure out the problem

is it the batteryless efi, they have lots of stator issues, we ut 2 in ours while we have had it, and bogging could maybe be week spark
Yes it is a barreryless efi. What exactly is the "stator"?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
parkeraan said:
It's basically your sleds version of an alternator. When combined with the magneto, a magnetic field is setup which generates the electricity to power anything electrical...lights, warmers, ECU, etc. Cats get a bad rap for having stator problems...especially 98-02 model years. A lot of times heat kills them. I've read many claims that removing the magneto cover and drilling holes in it for airflow dramatically increases the life of the stator. Personally, I've never seen a first-hand problem with them on my own, or my friends' sleds.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quinlan said:
parkeraan said:
It's basically your sleds version of an alternator. When combined with the magneto, a magnetic field is setup which generates the electricity to power anything electrical...lights, warmers, ECU, etc. Cats get a bad rap for having stator problems...especially 98-02 model years. A lot of times heat kills them. I've read many claims that [highlight=red]removing the magneto cover and drilling holes in it for airflow dramatically increases the life of the stator.[/highlight=red] Personally, I've never seen a first-hand problem with them on my own, or my friends' sleds.
I have heard this, also have heard installing a battery, this removes all the load from the stator and gives the extra power some place to go, so it doesnt overheat/overwork/overload the stator, anyime you do that its a good thing

also heard tons of people talk about the TSS, never have tried unplugging it, but they say you can unplug it and run without it just fine, and it cause 50% of the engine problem you might have

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I would check the ethanol plug like Quinlan stated, that could be the source of all your problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have un hooked tss on my 580 and 440. they were both carb tho, and all you do is the tripple plug connecter that is on the handlebars, you take a razor and slice the connector into 3 wires and plug the outer wires together and it bypasses the kill switch on the bars and the tss system

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
crazyredneck55 said:
i have un hooked tss on my 580 and 440. they were both carb tho, and all you do is the tripple plug connecter that is on the handlebars, you take a razor and slice the connector into 3 wires and plug the outer wires together and it bypasses the kill switch on the bars and the tss system
sorry this i kind of off-topic, but i was wondering if your sled is extremly heavy, we have the exact same sled only EFI and it is a tank, i cant barely lift the front on my own

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
...we have the exact same sled only EFI and it is a tank, i cant barely lift the front on my own
Better keep eating your Wheaties son. [;)]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i can lift all the other ones just fine, some with one hand, ill pick it up and set it on the scale and see how much it weights

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here are a couple of pics of the wire/cable coming out of the efi box. not sure if this will help I have posted the two pictures in the Gallery under the category General. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
no not really, i find it light actually. just put a 6 inch riser on it and made it lots easier to ride

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
i can lift all the other ones just fine, some with one hand, ill pick it up and set it on the scale and see how much it weights
I can't imagine it weighing that much more than mine maybe 30 lbs heavier. Cat listed the dry weight of my sled at 421 dry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here is a picture of the wire. I hope the pic is good enough, if it is not I can get some better ones. hope it helps. I have looked around for a place to plug it in, but did not see it.

20101122141711516_34350.jpg

2010112214178704_34350.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts