Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and my dad (mrholmquist, the polaris guy's know who im talking about right!) are thinking of buying new sleds to go on a trip up north. Im buying my own and he is going to buy the same model i am. I was wondering if an IQ 600 is a good trail riding machine and if there are problems what so?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The 600 CFI is one of the most reliable motors on the market, if not the most. Are you talking an IQ, Polaris trail chassis, or the IQr, Race chassis?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The 600 IQ shift's are supposed to be some of the most comfortable and reliable sleds around..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
The 600 IQ shift's are supposed to be some of the most comfortable and reliable sleds around..
you will love that 600 cfi motor. they are real reliable and scream too!! as for which sled, i'd go with the iq just for suspension purposes-it will make for a real nice trail machine[thumb]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rnordby said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
you will love that 600 cfi motor. they are real reliable and scream too!! as for which sled, i'd go with the iq just for suspension purposes-it will make for a real nice trail machine[thumb]
Perfect i meant the trail chasis not the race sorry. WE're thinking Algonquin i think. Thank you guys now i know its a look[thumb]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey Shawn,
Are you and your dad giving up on the 500efi & the RXL...
I won't be able to help you out on what to buy as far as polaris because I jumped ship over to yamaha...I love there 4 strokes...I haven't talked to you dad in over a year now, but he was the biggest help I have ever gotten when it came to my RXL. Always willing to go the extra mile to help...I am now rebuilding the RXL for my son, It will be his first sled.
Good luck in finding the right sleds for you and your dad.

shawnH said:
So me and my dad (mrholmquist, the polaris guy's know who im talking about right!) are thinking of buying new sleds to go on a trip up north. Im buying my own and he is going to buy the same model i am. I was wondering if an IQ 600 is a good trail riding machine and if there are problems what so?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
71rdrnr said:
Hey Shawn,
I won't be able to help you out on what to buy as far as polaris because I jumped ship over to yamaha...I love there 4 strokes...I haven't talked to you dad in over a year now, but he was the biggest help I have ever gotten when it came to my RXL. Always willing to go the extra mile to help...I am now rebuilding the RXL for my son, It will be his first sled.

shawnH said:
Ha yeah. We mostly want to get better suspension as you may know mine indy trail has the less advanced suspension. They were amazing sleds but there just getting tired now so we're thinking the yamaha nytro or apex. Also a polaris IQ and fusion

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Fusion 600's are pretty good, but stay away from the 700 and 900's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i'll second that about the fusions. Good reliable 600 liberty with a excellent chassis for dirt cheap. That's the route i'd go if you don't wanna drop alot of coin

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had gotten a new 2010 phazer rtx and my buddy bought a 2009 phazer rtx...Ya a lot of people say it is a good ladies sled, bt I'll tell you if you get a chance to ride one for the day you may just fall in love with it. The fastest we hit was between 137 and 143 km on the speedo. but it likes to take jumps like a kangroo. If I was in the mountians I would look at the nitro, but I find its to front heavy and you don't get to use the power in the trails, plus the extra fuel it drinks. Last winter we were hitting road approaches at 65 - 85km and not touching nothing but the bottom of the ditch on the otherside...hehe. The suspension travel is like 16" on the phazer rtx.
Just my 2 cents. You wont be disappointed with any of your choices.

shawnH said:
71rdrnr said:
Hey Shawn,

shawnH said:
Ha yeah. We mostly want to get better suspension as you may know mine indy trail has the less advanced suspension. They were amazing sleds but there just getting tired now so we're thinking the yamaha nytro or apex. Also a polaris IQ and fusion

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dragon700 said:
The 600 CFI is one of the most reliable motors on the market, if not the most. Are you talking an IQ, Polaris trail chassis, or the IQr, Race chassis?
I agree.....just picked up an 07 600 CFI Switchback last spring....However I have found some good info on the forums about Polaris CFI's and some preventative maintenance things to check on to extend the life of the machine.

2 big items to check on the O7 CFI's regardless of mileage.....1. Check to make sure Oil pump arm set correctly (some machines set very lean from the factory and the dealer recall fix didn't completely solve the problem). My 07 600 CFI was set pretty lean and it had been serviced at the Polaris dealer with all recalls done (now set to 40:1 or so....I would rather burn more oil up than my motor!). 2. Check your throttle body adaptor in addition to the boots. Lots of posts out there on the 07's TBA's delaminating and causing air leaks. That's why Polaris changed manufacturers in 08 and later I guess because the part number has subsequently changed. I replaced mine this summer with only 1800 miles on the original-it was already starting to crack.

Check out Kraven's tech tips on Hardcoresledder.com under IQ section-he has some great tips for keeping the CFI's in top running condition. Adding venting to the clutch side helps with belt life and I sealed the intake plenum going into the airbox with SLP prefilter material so any snow etc. that comes thru headlight area won't get sucked into motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts