Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to snowmobiling and am looking to purchase a used sled. I am looking for a sled to ride trails with, fool around on lakes, etc. I have to have 2 up capabilities but when riding alone would like to be able to pop off the 2 up part of it and get a little wild, want something that is sporty and with some gitty up. My budget is 3500 and under I don't want new let someone else take the depreciation hit seems to work well for me. So which sleds should I be looking at ???

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
with a budget of $3500, you can get quite a bit of possibilities. For Polaris you could look at getting 2004-2005 Edge Touring. They are 2-up sleds, but the passenger seat can be removed and replaced with a hard plastic cover. However, these sleds aren't super common, and the price could put you right at your limit, or higher. A 2-up sled will cost more than the single-rider sister-sled that is equivalent to it. A 2-up sled usually comes with all the bells and whistles too- electric start and reverse, extra plush suspension, etc.

As for the other 3 manufacturers, I have no knowledge and can't help out there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
with a budget of $3500, you can get quite a bit of possibilities. For Polaris you could look at getting 2004-2005 Edge Touring. They are 2-up sleds, but the passenger seat can be removed and replaced with a hard plastic cover. However, these sleds aren't super common, and the price could put you right at your limit, or higher. A 2-up sled will cost more than the single-rider sister-sled that is equivalent to it. A 2-up sled usually comes with all the bells and whistles too- electric start and reverse, extra plush suspension, etc.

As for the other 3 manufacturers, I have no knowledge and can't help out there

Yah as I search for a sled I am quickly finding that what I am looking for as usual has very little inventory. What about adding a seat to a longer track machine like a Renegade or Switchback etc??

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you are looking towards renegade etc. then you will prolly be going over 3500. Look at the Arctic Cat Sabercat line. Those sleds have some balls, as well as a nice ride and some of the extras that you will probably want. Look at getting a single seat sled and ordering a seperate 2up seat that can fit onto the back of it. For the skidoo's check out a couple of the 440x and other used sleds in that area. For polaris look at some of the older 500 and 600's.

Try hitting up dennis kirk and other sites to look for a serpate 2up seating part, and good luck with the search. try craigslist, and ebay for used sleds in yor area, as well as contacting some local dealers to see if they can hook u up with some used beauties

Good Luck!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Jmax said:
If you are looking towards renegade etc. then you will prolly be going over 3500. Look at the Arctic Cat Sabercat line. Those sleds have some balls, as well as a nice ride and some of the extras that you will probably want. Look at getting a single seat sled and ordering a seperate 2up seat that can fit onto the back of it. For the skidoo's check out a couple of the 440x and other used sleds in that area. For polaris look at some of the older 500 and 600's.

Try hitting up dennis kirk and other sites to look for a serpate 2up seating part, and good luck with the search. try craigslist, and ebay for used sleds in yor area, as well as contacting some local dealers to see if they can hook u up with some used beauties

Good Luck!
sorry, my advice wouldnt be to recomend a mxzx 440 for a trail riding sled..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Im partial to the mid 90s RXL tourings. With tripple aaen pipes and chipped for the pipes the motor really wakes up. The ride is smooth and will get along with the program. A good RXL can be had for around 900-1300 tops. I like the electric start and the fuel injection. Reverse was a option and can be added also. Its really how new and what your looking for. For big fun and playing hard at times id reccomend a a 600 or bigger. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
695 Posts
they make a seat for most sleds called a 2-1 seat that's makes a one up into two up her's a link

http://www.eoutdoorsports.com/Snowmobile/SeatAdapt.htm

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I reccomend a 2004+ Ski-doo Mxz 500ss gsx or adrenaline. with electric start, RER(reverse), and a removable 2-up seat.

would be a great sled for you! does everything your asking for.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I agree with Jesse500 on the 500ss GSX. Reliable sled with get up and go, but isn't balls to the wall and can be a calm trail cruiser too. Plus, ski-doo also makes their own 2+2 detachable seat for that model. you can find details on all of this if you go to ski-doos website and look under past models. as for other brands I'm no help..but hey, welcome to the world of snowmobiling!

·
Registered
584 Posts
When i was younger my dad had an 04 edge touring 600 that i rode on back with him for a few years. Great sled with no problems. Put alot of miles on it together until i was old enough to ride on my own. Then my dad took the seat off the back and put the trunk on. It rode really nice because of the 136 inch track and good suspension. It also had a great seat for trail riding. It was comfortable on back too and with 1 person on it it was very similar to a normal 600 edge. Great sled would really recomend it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I have to add another opinion that the the 04-05 Poo tourign sled is a good choice.

I have an '05 800, and it goes like hell either with me alone, or with the wife on the back.

To be honest frankenstorm smokes it, but the touring sleds are setup for comfort not speed. Re-clutching it will take the hitch out of the giddyup.

as a 2-up

as a 1-up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you guys think of this sled? Any known problems with this model and the 800?? I like the looks and features of the Polaris Edge Touring but I have only seen 3 for sale all from a pawn shop in NH and his prices are NUTZ!

2003 Rev MXZ 800
2,788 Northern miles, 2nd owner; I only put 49 miles on last winter. The machine is flawless; turn the key & go. I have a brand new $550 dollar 2-up seat and a $350 saddle bag/map holder, and a shop manual that goes with it. It has never been abused and is in wicked mint condition. Only selling it due to back problems. Asking $3,200 or B/O. Email or Call Aaron @ 207-475-5742. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
I have to add another opinion that the the 04-05 Poo tourign sled is a good choice.

I have an '05 800, and it goes like hell either with me alone, or with the wife on the back.

To be honest frankenstorm smokes it, but the touring sleds are setup for comfort not speed. Re-clutching it will take the hitch out of the giddyup.

as a 2-up

as a 1-up

I am buying one of these but i think i am going to make a ditch banger out of it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
zecow224 said:
I am buying one of these but i think i am going to make a ditch banger out of it.
The M10 Ace that's in it, is for trail-cruising and will make a lousy ditchbanging suspension, you'll want to replace it with an edge skid.

The engine and CDI are the same as the Edge RMK, so re-clutch and re-gear it and take off all the extra weight accessories, and it should be great. An RMK pipe should fit it too.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
zecow224 said:
The M10 Ace that's in it, is for trail-cruising and will make a lousy ditchbanging suspension, you'll want to replace it with an edge skid.

The engine and CDI are the same as the Edge RMK, so re-clutch and re-gear it and take off all the extra weight accessories, and it should be great. An RMK pipe should fit it too.
I think he was being sarcastic about turning a touring sled into a ditch banger.

Lhoss39 said:
What do you guys think of this sled? Any known problems with this model and the 800?? I like the looks and features of the Polaris Edge Touring but I have only seen 3 for sale all from a pawn shop in NH and his prices are NUTZ!

2003 Rev MXZ 800
2,788 Northern miles, 2nd owner; I only put 49 miles on last winter. The machine is flawless; turn the key & go. I have a brand new $550 dollar 2-up seat and a $350 saddle bag/map holder, and a shop manual that goes with it. It has never been abused and is in wicked mint condition. Only selling it due to back problems. Asking $3,200 or B/O. Email or Call Aaron @ 207-475-5742. Thanks.
That sound like a good deal. Make sure everything is good first. The best bet is to have someone who knows sleds go with you to take a look.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lhoss39 said:
I am new to snowmobiling and am looking to purchase a used sled. I am looking for a sled to ride trails with, fool around on lakes, etc. I have to have 2 up capabilities but when riding alone would like to be able to pop off the 2 up part of it and get a little wild, want something that is sporty and with some gitty up. My budget is 3500 and under I don't want new let someone else take the depreciation hit seems to work well for me. So which sleds should I be looking at ???
Where are you located?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
kingofkings said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
zecow224 said:

I think he was being sarcastic about turning a touring sled into a ditch banger.
sadly, no. He actually wants to mod his 2005 touring. I think it's a ridiculous idea. A LOT would have to be modified to make it a semi-reasonable ditch banger. zecow must think buying an IQR is too diffucult of a task

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
kingofkings said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
zecow224 said:

sadly, no. He actually wants to mod his 2005 touring. I think it's a ridiculous idea. A LOT would have to be modified to make it a semi-reasonable ditch banger. zecow must think buying an IQR is too diffucult of a task
[Disappointed]It would be easier and probably cheaper just to get a sled setup for ditchbanging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dragonryder said:
Lhoss39 said:
Where are you located?
I am located in Monmouth Maine

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
A sled in the shop is worth 2 on craigslist....

Most all sleds you buy you'll have to repair, then tweak in the way you want anyway. So why not put the work into something you already have and know? Saves a lot of trailering s**t around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts