Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Helmet cam on sled?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MakingTheWinterGoByFaster 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering if it would be too rough to record a decent picture or not? I searched youtube, but didn't see much that proved either way. If it would work I think this would be much easier to get setup and use.

Let me know if you have tried this or know anyone that has... Thanks!

FYI - It is an Oregon Scientific ATC-2K camera that I got about 2 years ago as a gift and haven't used yet. [Disappointed]

#2 ·
I just did that yesterday with my GoPro. I will upload a video or 2 with it on the hood. I've gound it works well except at idle there is a vibration. MAKE SURE you make and attach a safety from the camera to the hood somewhere. Your camera will fall off its just a matter of time, and if you have a safety, you don't have to go back and look for it.

Edit: I will upload the video of the camera falling off too. Its pretty comical.

#3 ·
I"ve seen quite a few videos of people mounting the cameras to the hood, and on the top of the rear of their tunnel, facing both backwards and forwards.

One thing I love about gopro's (and other helmet cams too) is the amount fo places you can mount them, make for some really cool angles. I've seen people mount them onto the sides of the hood, so your watching the ski and whats coming up too.

#4 ·
ive mounted a go pro to my bmx bike before, took a few runs at the local park, jumped, spun, did everything normal. picture looked smooth.

#7 ·
Thanks guys! I will definitely make a safety so it doesn't fall off. With my luck it would either get run over or fall off in deep snow to never be found again...

Dragon700 - If I didn't know what was happening I would have thought you rolled the sled at first! Thanks for the info! [thumb]

#8 ·
600edge said:
Thanks guys! I will definitely make a safety so it doesn't fall off. With my luck it would either get run over or fall off in deep snow to never be found again...

Dragon700 - If I didn't know what was happening I would have thought you rolled the sled at first! Thanks for the info! [thumb]
When my mom watched she was freaking out thinking I must have been hurt somewhere.

#9 ·
that looked like a horrible sled crash haha

#11 ·
I made a mount from sheet metal that snaps over the top of my windshield. I loop the wrist strap around the mount before I snap it down.

I mount my little Kodak to it with the tripod screw. This is on my 09 SB 600 Dragon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm991cjTWnU

#14 ·
Dragon700 said:
Mine has the capability to shoot 1080p but I set it on the next lowest thing to increase memory space
And you can also do slow-mo if it is on 720p instead of 960p or 1080p. Great cameras, only a little vibration on idle from the camera's i have used.

#16 ·
600edge said:
I'm just wondering if it would be too rough to record a decent picture or not? I searched youtube, but didn't see much that proved either way. If it would work I think this would be much easier to get setup and use.

FYI - It is an Oregon Scientific ATC-2K camera that I got about 2 years ago as a gift and haven't used yet. [Disappointed]
Had the same cam, and needless to say, it was a bad deal for the money.

Heres a vid I took with mine
View attachment 20101252163359_27886.wmv

#17 ·
sledcrusher said:
600edge said:

Had the same cam, and needless to say, it was a bad deal for the money.

Heres a vid I took with mine
View attachment 20101252163359_27886.wmv
Sound is horrable[Disappointed] Should be something fun to mess around with though.

#18 ·
Don't mount it on the side of the hood. There's a youtube where someone did it - it was constantly getting mud and snow all over the lens. Don't have the link handy at this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.