Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I was just thinking of how damn cool it would be to rig up a helmet cam system. Anyone have experience with this? I found a few systems (bulletcam.com and viosport.com) and they are external mounts. I don't know if it would work well enough in the deep. . . then again, who knows how the picture would look through the visor. Maybe, I could cut a lipstick sized hole in the foam by my temple. . . hmmm . . .

I need to relive my wrecks after all!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Here ya go SXViper,

http://www.helmetcamera.com/

we have one of these we wear. It works great. You just put your Vid Cam in a backpack. hook up the helmet cam and press record on the vid cam. There is also a push button for starting and stopping the record process.

When i get around to it i plan on uploading some of the vids we have.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Darkstar! Do you have the 380 or the 480? I'm not sure how much of a difference there would be (besides the obvious 100 lines).

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I am pretty sure it's the 380. We bought it 2 years ago. I dont think they had 2 options back then... The quatlity is very good on ours unless youre going into the sun. They are very durable. I bailed last year with it on, ripped the camera right off the top of my helmet but didnt hurt a thing. We are eventually going to get a second one to mount on the sled.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just sitting here wondering whether to mount it to my helmet or to the sled. I think the helmet would be better. Now i just have to figure out if my DV camcorder is compatible. IT looks like the only input I have is 1394/Firewire. Do you know if that will do it?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Ours only has an S-Vid hook up. I dont know if they have changed their plugs or not.
Mount it too your helmet for sure. You will get a full view of everything with it on top of your head. The thing is only like an inch tall so you wont even know it's there.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
That looks like a pretty neat camera. Better get some videos up!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
a coupla guys at the motocross races use the helmet cams with a backpack for the vid camera. Works out pretty cool. I'd be most concerend with protection for the camera in the backpack...maybe surround it with styrofoam or something.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep i wrap a towel around the camera and then put a folded up towel underneath it in the back pack. The first time out i didnt put anything in the bag, and the camera kept bouncing and hitting me in the spine... I learned real quick to put something in the bag with it.

Erick,
I need to get a better pc before i can begin uploading the vids we have. The best one i have so far is from a trip i made to Lake Tahoe. The guides took us off trail for the whole 3 hour trip. To bad we had to ride the rentals... Skidoo 340 fans WOOHOO.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The lense's are replaceable. they give you 3 extra's i think. Plus the camera is strong enough you can run it over with a car. You wont hurt this thing. trust me I've tried :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts