Snowmobile Fanatics banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmet Communication

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Polaris-Man 
#1 ·
There has recently been alot of discussion on radio communication, so I'd like to take this opportunity to address some technical issues related to different systems.
There are many factors that come to play when it comes to a clear channel signal. The lower MHz band like CB, which is AM, is prone to static and interference from the snowmobile engine. VHF also is a poor choice for the same reason. When u get up into the 400-450 MHZ band, which is UFH, it is usually less prone to interference. In all applications, resistor plugs and a properly functioning electrical system is of the utmost importance. FRS .5 watt radios are adequate for one quarter to half mile range.
The 2 watt GMRS band radios are usually capable of 1-3 miles. Motorola and other manufacturers claim the max range to be 5 miles, but this is only with a clear line of sight. Obstacles such as mountains, heavy vegetation, and snowfall, reduce the range to the 1-3 mile limit. One reason I like handheld 2 watt radios, is that they can be used all year round for many other activities other that snowmobiling, such as family vacations, hunting trips, etc....
The 900 MHz radios are limited to .10 of a watt, this is limited by the FCC. The 900 MHz radio are subject to the same limitations mentioned above. Although, they claim to have a range of approximately 2 miles, this is under optimum conditions, which are seldom present.
Next, I'd like to address Push-to-Talk versus Voice Activation (VOX). VOX systems require absolute precision in the setup. Everyone in the group must have the sensitivity control adjusted properly. The more riders in the group, the more important that everyone is set up the same. If one rider is setup incorrectly, it activates the sound of the motor or wind and everyone in the group will hear that. Of coarse, everyone will say theirs is setup correctly. You can imagine how frustrating it is to find the one or more radios that aren't setup correctly. I’m sure there are many that are satisfied with VOX, but it does have its limitations. Push-to-Talk is used by Nascar simply because it is failsafe. In this application, communication is extremely important to the safety of the diver and the pit crew. Although snowmobiling is recreational, the same reliability can be enjoyed by the rider. The button must be pressed approximately 1 second before speaking. There is a signal that is sent out to the other radios to open up their channel. Push-to-Talk buttons work best when mounted to the left side of the handlebar slight right of the brake. The radio can be mounted in a pack on the handlebar, or on a your belt. The pack allows you to get the wiring harness away from the rider. The electric shield wire, if used, can be run through the center of the coil of the helmet connection.
Finally, some radio systems allow the use of an antenna that can be mounted on the back of the sled. This will add to the maximum range and performance of the system. For this application I use a 2-watt Motorola Spirit radio.
Whatever radio system you use, you'll find it adds a new dimension to the sport. It makes it safer, because you can be warned of hazards on the trail and oncoming sleds. You group could be spread out over larger area, because you don't have to be in sight of each other to keep in contact. It also makes coordinating stops much easier.
I hope I've answered most of the questions that have come up, and that this information will make it easier for you to decide on what system would work best for you. If you want further information, feel free to e-mail me at ncsports@optonline.net

See less See more
#2 ·
This is advertising and i think it is bogus. A normal person does not just come on here and tell us everything about a product without even wanting a reply. I don't think this kind of free advertising is allowed here and this user should be booted out. IMO.

#4 ·

Remember not that long ago, there was a post which I edited all the references of phone numbers and store names and stuff. Well this guy's username is the name of the store that was being advertised...

Ride the Best!

#9 ·
I'm going to see if this guy posts anything else, if he doesn't then we can just delete his account. I mean, a guy comes here, saying hes going to start a discussion about whatever, then never posts again. right...

Ride the Best!

#11 ·
Blah......blah.....blah....NCsports,

Less gum flap'in, more thottle slapp'in.

I hate ppl that drive while beak'in into a cell phone,
this is the same thing.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

#12 ·
Originally posted by NorthCountrySports:
There has recently been alot of discussion on radio communication, so I'd like to take this opportunity to address some technical issues related to different systems.

BTW- I can't remember anyone other than this guy posting a discussion on this before.

#14 ·
BUSTED...
......you sure nailed him on that one Eric.

Don't know why I missed that.......oh I know.....cause I'd NEVER buy one!

#15 ·

I guess the feelings are mutual... I think this thread has run it's course

Ride the Best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.