Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know how to put a quick release on a helmet. The only way I can see to do it is to cut the seams amd sew it back together by hand. (The strap is to short to to get under a sewing machine) I looked at removing the strap altogether and sewing it by machine but cant figure out how to get strap removed from helmet.It looks to be riveted in. Dont want to sew it by hand because I doubt it would be safe. If anyone has done this before I would appreciate knowing how you did it. Thanks

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have never put one on, but I have looked at them before, thinking it would be nice. Everyone that I looked at said that there was no modification needed for the helmet straps and would only take seconds to install.

Would you be able to scan the quick connect to we can see what it looks like?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
/snofan/../images/users/tvan/Clips.JPGHere is what the clips look like. The one on the right just has the strap weave into it. The one on the left is one I cant figure out. Thought it was suppose to be simple. Go figure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put one of these type of quick releases on my hockey helmet with a new strap that is just 1" webbing after I broke the original one.

I put a snap on the strap (used a punch to make a small hole for the snap pieces. Then I ran the strap through the piece on the left in your pic, and snaped it together. Could do the same with a rivet or two, but would have to run the strap through first of course.

This will decrease the strength of the strap however, though I was not concerned with my hockey helmet, but with my snowmobile helmet, I might be more concerned...

·
Registered
187 Posts
All I know is that the quick release is great I have one on my Helmet which is a red Polaris edge helmet made by Lazer. I bought it at the big snowmobile show in Toronto (Canada), It is red with blue,black,yellow and checker flag strips I have tried to find a picture of it on the web but have had no luck. My buddies think it looks great oh yea I bought the matching jacket at the same show, I look the best when we are out and have the oldest sled.The night I blew my sled up all the guys said was that was too bad, but did you see his cool helmet and jacket. Oh well at least they noticed haha. Well good luck fitting that quick release.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Superglue will actually weld nylon strap together,use visegrips to clamp it.Then just for safty use 2 pop rivets with back-up washers,rivets as short as possible so there is no protrusion.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Wouldn't a glue gun work, because it is hot it might melt the straps a bit, and cause them to fuse together.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I put a set on my helmet and didn't do any cutting/glueing/sewing/riveting. I used the long strap to go through the one on the right in your pic, I can't remember how I did the one on the left (although I was wearing it last night[8D]) I think I just shoved the metal rings on the strap through the slot on the one on the left. I'll have to ask Trailblazer to look at it and let me know. (it's at his house).

·
Registered
892 Posts
Is it possible to slip the d-rings sideways through the slot and then loop the other end through the D-rings? That way the left end will lock into the D-ring? Just a thought.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
/snofan/../images/users/tvan/clip1.JPG

The helmet dosent have d-rings.Probably would have worked if it did. The metal end of strap wont fit thru the piece on the left.Gonna take it to cycle shop in the morning and see what they say. Probably sell me a different one. Oh well.Will post when I find out. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tvan, I don't think that buckle is designed to be used as a helmet Quick release. It looks more like a cover strap buckle or a saddle/tank bag strap buckle.
Jacqui and I have 2 different types of quick releases.
Neither one of them look like that. The buckles have an open hook buckle that connects to the helmet straps without cutting or rivetting. Hot glue wouldn't heat the straps enough to fuse them together and "crazy glue" usually doesn't hold when it it gets wet.
This is your head we're talking about, take that buckle back and get the real thing. I paid about $7-8 Cdn. each for ours. We love the convenience and the ease of use. It took us about 5 minutes to install them.
I hope this helps.
Jeff

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from cycle shop and even they didnt know how that one worked. They sold me one made by echo and I installed it in a couple of minutes. Only cost 5.25 US. All set to go now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts