Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my snowmobile helmet I'm looking at getting a good set of speakers for an Ipod touch with my full face helmet, I'm looking for some input on what is being used, pictures would be nice!

TRICKPaint said:
I don't understand why you would want a distraction like that. I would invest the extra money into a nicer helmet or else some nice bookshelf speakers to enjoy at home.
u will now cuz here is why, I have that stuff already and it's already been invested into! lol

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I don't understand why you would want a distraction like that. I would invest the extra money into a nicer helmet or else some nice bookshelf speakers to enjoy at home.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Just be safe... It's not so bad that you will not be hearing your engine or other external sounds. It is the fact that you will not be as focused on your machine. I have a friend I ride with who is deaf and he is a good rider, maybe he has a more intense focus on feel and sight to make up for his hearing loss and this makes him a better rider?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
It is the fact that you will not be as focused on your machine.
I don't know if that is the case, in some ways it wouldn't be much different than listening to the radio while driving your car or while operating a piece of heavy equipment. The key is to be able to recognize if it is a distraction and know enough to turn the tunes off.

I picked up a set of the ear bud type speakers to give a try this winter. One of the other guys on the site said he uses them and they seem to work out fairly well. I think with the helmet speakers the wires hanging out the bottom of the helmet would bother me.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
So you do not get enjoyment you need from being outside and taking in the scenery and the feel and sound of your machine. I have never thought while I'm riding that this would just be so much better if I could be listening to some "P-Diddy" right now.

The radio too loud in a car can be bad also. What if you don't hear an E.M.T. or other emergency vehicle that is approaching an intersection?

I listen to the radio in my car, but not with head-phones on or so loud I can not hear a siren like in the city where you must rely on your hearing.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Oh I agree Trickpaint. I guess when I think if listening to music it would be at a moderate tone so that you can still kind of hear what's going on. I don't like my music so loud that it's the only thing that is heard.

·
Registered
646 Posts
brian126 said:
TRICKPaint said:
It is the fact that you will not be as focused on your machine.
I don't know if that is the case, in some ways it wouldn't be much different than listening to the radio while driving your car or while operating a piece of heavy equipment. The key is to be able to recognize if it is a distraction and know enough to turn the tunes off.

I picked up a set of the ear bud type speakers to give a try this winter. One of the other guys on the site said he uses them and they seem to work out fairly well. I think with the helmet speakers the wires hanging out the bottom of the helmet would bother me.

I use ear buds, and they work very well for me. So far, no accidents based on the fact that I have been distracted by music.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Interesting to thing to think about. It just makes me think about how so many young people today seem like they have to have constant connection to their friends and culture.Twitter, face-book, texting, cell phone, play station, I-POD, etc...
Does anyone go hiking or anything in the outdoors anymore without having their head wired to something!?... Silence can be a beautiful thing... It's amazing what you will hear.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
Silence can be a beautiful thing... It's amazing what you will hear.
What? I can't hear you, I'm deaf from having my earbuds too loud...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
Interesting to thing to think about. It just makes me think about how so many young people today seem like they have to have constant connection to their friends and culture.Twitter, face-book, texting, cell phone, play station, I-POD, etc...
Does anyone go hiking or anything in the outdoors anymore without having their head wired to something!?... Silence can be a beautiful thing... It's amazing what you will hear.
I couldn't agree more. When I go out hiking / geocaching the cell phone gets put silent. I like to have it along just in case of an emergency but I like to experience the sights, sounds, and smell of the woods. Nothing better than getting away for the weekend and leaving the "connected world" at home.

When snowmobiling or riding an atv you can't hear nature so I really don't see a problem with listening to a little music, just so that it doesn't become a distraction.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TRICKPaint said:
So you do not get enjoyment you need from being outside and taking in the scenery and the feel and sound of your machine. I have never thought while I'm riding that this would just be so much better if I could be listening to some "P-Diddy" right now.

The radio too loud in a car can be bad also. What if you don't hear an E.M.T. or other emergency vehicle that is approaching an intersection?

I listen to the radio in my car, but not with head-phones on or so loud I can not hear a siren like in the city where you must rely on your hearing.
I disagree I don't believe that you can prevent anything from happening by having your music cranked or not, if its going to happen its going to happen, and I enjoy the outdoors very much & enjoy my tunes just as much put two & two together, & I live in Merrill, WI pop of 10,000 not New York. lol
I'm looking for any input on good speakers for helmets or maybe even something like a chatter box that can enhance safety by letting you know whats ahead. I'm not asking for feedback on it being good or bad in this thread! I understand that there have been some other threads on this topic as well but it never seems to be/stay on topic........

·
Registered
222 Posts
wow, well TRICKpaint kinda ruined this thread but i have been listening to my ipod in my helmet for the past three years and its awesome. Yes i do love to hear the BRRRRAAAAP of the can on my sled but listening to some avenged sevenfold while riding sure amps up my adrenaline. I have an ipod touch and i just bought some sony earbuds that are like normal ipod earbuds but then have a silicone/rubber pieve that goes around my ear to hold them on better. i put m earbuds in and slide my baklava on since i wear a motox style helmet and they work just fine. i dont crank the music so loud my ears ring but just loud enough that i can hear it no matter what. when i have my music on i am more aware with whats around me because i know my hearing is compromised. so just go to target or best buy and look for the sony runner's earbuds, itll be around 20 bucks

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
MN_SlEdnEck said:
wow, well TRICKpaint kinda ruined this thread [/color=limegreen]but i have been listening to my ipod in my helmet for the past three years and its awesome. Yes i do love to hear the BRRRRAAAAP of the can on my sled but listening to some avenged sevenfold while riding sure amps up my adrenaline. I have an ipod touch and i just bought some sony earbuds that are like normal ipod earbuds but then have a silicone/rubber pieve that goes around my ear to hold them on better. i put m earbuds in and slide my baklava on since i wear a motox style helmet and they work just fine. i dont crank the music so loud my ears ring but just loud enough that i can hear it no matter what. when i have my music on i am more aware with whats around me because i know my hearing is compromised. so just go to target or best buy and look for the sony runner's earbuds, itll be around 20 bucks

You called me on it, so here is my answer;
He asked for in-put and I gave my honest opinion... So how is it that I ruined the thread?

Sorry if you reject my opinion, but I'm all about the pure riding experience. I don't need artificial in-put to enhance it.

I hope I made some people think twice about the ear-bud thing. Last thing I want to see is some young kid who does not have the same riding experience as you, may decide that sounds really cool, as if most teenagers don't have enough distractions as it is. This really could be a bad idea for someone like that. Can you understand where I am coming from now. I'm not mad. Just wanted to explain myself;)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
SconsinSnowridder27 said:
well just picked up a chatterbox off of ebay are they good for music?
They are communicators for talking to other riders on your channel.
I think some of the newer chatterbox systems can be linked up with an I-pod or whatever.
Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

MN_SlEdnEck said:
I have an ipod touch and i just bought some sony earbuds that are like normal ipod earbuds but then have a silicone/rubber piece that goes around my ear to hold them on better. i put m earbuds in and slide my baklava on since i wear a motox style helmet and they work just fine. i don't crank the music so loud my ears ring but just loud enough that i can hear it no matter what. when i have my music on i am more aware with whats around me because i know my hearing is compromised. so just go to target or best buy and look for the sony runner's earbuds, it'll be around 20 bucks
I picked up some of those a couple of weeks ago, haven't had a chance to try them out yet though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
MN_SlEdnEck said:
wow, well TRICKpaint kinda ruined this thread [/color=limegreen]but i have been listening to my ipod in my helmet for the past three years and its awesome. Yes i do love to hear the BRRRRAAAAP of the can on my sled but listening to some avenged sevenfold while riding sure amps up my adrenaline. I have an ipod touch and i just bought some sony earbuds that are like normal ipod earbuds but then have a silicone/rubber pieve that goes around my ear to hold them on better. i put m earbuds in and slide my baklava on since i wear a motox style helmet and they work just fine. i dont crank the music so loud my ears ring but just loud enough that i can hear it no matter what. when i have my music on i am more aware with whats around me because i know my hearing is compromised. so just go to target or best buy and look for the sony runner's earbuds, itll be around 20 bucks

You called me on it, so here is my answer;
He asked for in-put and I gave my honest opinion... So how is it that I ruined the thread?

Sorry if you reject my opinion, but I'm all about the pure riding experience. I don't need artificial in-put to enhance it.

I hope I made some people think twice about the ear-bud thing. Last thing I want to see is some young kid who does not have the same riding experience as you, may decide that sounds really cool, as if most teenagers don't have enough distractions as it is. This really could be a bad idea for someone like that. Can you understand where I am coming from now. I'm not mad. Just wanted to explain myself;)

Ya I understand where you are coming from and I dont think that music is an artificial addition to riding. I can still hear my sled and whats going on over my music. Like i said before, i don't crank my music so loud that I can't hear at all. And i do agree that younger riders shouldn't put speakers in their helmet but then again you don't start thinking about accessories such as speakers in your helmet until you are more of an experienced rider.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[/quote]

They are communicators for talking to other riders on your channel.

[/quote]

I think some of the newer chatterbox systems can be linked up with an I-pod or whatever.
Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

I got the chatter box for $50 so that was real cheap, its a 2005, still need all the audio accersories for it yet though but the Chatterbox introduces the FRS-X2 model with noise reduction. The FRS-X2 has a large illuminated display and is VOX (voice activated) or PTT (push to talk) with a built in intercom for talking to a passenger.

Other features include cellular phone input (*call for compatibility), audio input with full stereo sound, radar detector, and voice prompted GPS input. All of these features packed into a tough water resistant casing.

Features:
Noise reducing headset
Large illuminated LCD display
VOX (voice activated)
PTT (push to talk)
Full duplex intercom
Audio input with full stereo sound
Auxiliary input for cellular phone

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
^^^^
What do you mean by audio accessories?
Looks like you'll have it made once you get it all set up.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
brian126 said:
^^^^
What do you mean by audio accessories?
Looks like you'll have it made once you get it all set up.
Let us know how it works out.
All the wires I need yet, like a certain type of HD ear pieces along with the aux for the ipod to the box, I think that they have to be the chatterbox brand or els e they wont work, & I need the wall charger yet.
I'll get right on it when I recieve everything!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts