Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the moto-x type and kind of crappy goggles. Anyway, I was wondering about the full-face. Does anyone have one of these? Do they fog up bad? I was thinking of getting the modular type. Found one with the breathe deflector in it. So I figure they fog up, but is it as bad as the goggles? Or should I just get better goggles? Thanks

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Full face are better for all day riding at speed.

Moto-x helmets are better for moto-x type riding.

They both fog up to an extent, trading one for the other won't solve a fogging problem..

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I wear a modular, full face(polaris cyclone) and a polaris moto. All of them have their place. I wear the full face/modular on fast open riding. I have yet to find a goggle, ski mask combo that provides 100% coverage. I wear the moto on warmer days and when screwing around. The bill on the helmet catches alot of air. Each has it's place.

No fogging issues on either as long as the breath box is in place and the hoses are hooked up.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ski Doo 1st generation modular here for everything except when I am racing, the doo modular with the fighter pilot mask has performed flawless for me for 3 years now, but when I am on the ice or asphalt I wear my full face Snell rated Polaris helmet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
i have a klim F4 helmet and were it for all my riding. the Scott 89 xi's haven't fogged up on me yet, and provide excellent face coverage. plus with all the vents on the klim there is very minimal wind pull on the visor.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
They both fog up to an extent, trading one for the other won't solve a fogging problem..
Yep, the trick is to keep as much of your breath off your goggles or shield. The warm, moist air that you exhale is what causes the fogging. Most of the time I wear my full face helmet unless it's nice out then I'll grab my moto-x style helmet and goggles. I've got them both equipped with the breath boxes.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
xcr440 said:
I wear a modular, full face(polaris cyclone) and a polaris moto. All of them have their place. I wear the full face/modular on fast open riding. I have yet to find a goggle, ski mask combo that provides 100% coverage. I wear the moto on warmer days and when screwing around. The bill on the helmet catches alot of air. Each has it's place.

No fogging issues on either as long as the breath box is in place and the hoses are hooked up.
This is going to sound weird but i found snowboarding googles tend to work the best even better than any googles made for snowmobileing. I also wear a black remington neckie that works great i have a hjc open face witha breath deflector/noseguard.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I will be wearring a modular this year...have a full face and moto x...but the modular will be worn the most I believe...

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I have a Polaris open-face mx style helmet and Scott 89xi Turbo's and have hardly ever had a problem with fogging as long as i have my breath deflector set up right.

If i had the money i would go Klim everything, right now i have a set of boots and gloves. I like how light their helmets are and really like their bibs and jackets. But $$$$.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
HJC open face with 89xi goggles with the beak guard. I also wear a head sock and on cold days a neck piece that covers my chin. No breath deflector though. The key is to make sure the goggles seal around your nose so that moist breath can't get under them. Have never, ever, had fogging issues with this combo. The goggles fit well in the helmet too, no exposed skin or anything. I can do sustained 60-70mph at 10 degrees F and not get cold or frostbite.

http://www.ripperd.com/gallery/images//Snowmobiling/07-08/sf_ride/me.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the other posts - Full face or Modulars are your best choice for all day riding, at high speeds, and in the cold weather(less than 15 degrees). I ride with the HJC Snowmobile IS-MAX BT modular helmet.. (BT = Bluetooth compatable). The breathbox works great and also has a built in sun visor. I get a lot of questions about helmets so I created this video which shows all of the IS-MAX Helmet features.

When I ride on short trips or I am ditch banging I like to wear the HJC CL-X6 Frenzy snocross snowmobile helmet. HJC has designed a great breathbox that works and fits perfectly in the CL-X6 Helmets. I pair that with the Castle X snowmobile goggles and I am comfortable and fog free. The Castle goggles are cheap and have oversized foam that seal great in any size and/or brand helmet.

Hope this helps and remember you can get all these great items at www.MonsterSportsInc.com/snow

·
Registered
122 Posts
Never had any issues with fog ups except for the one time I had to borrow a modular off a friend lol. Always have and always will ride with a moto x helmet and goggles. My setup is an HJC CL-X5N Kane and Scott 89Xi Turbo's with the polar sheild and lense that tints blue in sunlight. I have absolutely no complaints with either and it gives me full coverage with out a balaclava. I used to wear dragon snowboard goggles with my helmet but I went out night riding in minus 20 degrees celcius weather and had severe frostbite on my face... a short walk to my local mx / sled shop the next day and I had the perfect setup.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
rm-polaris said:
Never had any issues with fog ups except for the one time I had to borrow a modular off a friend lol. Always have and always will ride with a moto x helmet and goggles. My setup is an HJC CL-X5N Kane and Scott 89Xi Turbo's with the polar sheild and lense that tints blue in sunlight. I have absolutely no complaints with either and it gives me full coverage with out a balaclava. I used to wear dragon snowboard goggles with my helmet but I went out night riding in minus 20 degrees celcius weather and had severe frostbite on my face... a short walk to my local mx / sled shop the next day and I had the perfect setup.
Same helmet, same googles here. It sure works great!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
ripperd said:
HJC open face with 89xi goggles with the beak guard. I also wear a head sock and on cold days a neck piece that covers my chin. No breath deflector though. The key is to make sure the goggles seal around your nose so that moist breath can't get under them. Have never, ever, had fogging issues with this combo. The goggles fit well in the helmet too, no exposed skin or anything. I can do sustained 60-70mph at 10 degrees F and not get cold or frostbite.

http://www.ripperd.com/gallery/images//Snowmobiling/07-08/sf_ride/me.jpg
X2. People complain that their MX Helmet and goggles does nowhere near as good as a full face or modular. I switched from a full face to an MX and will NEVER go back. I had an HJC MX helmet and Scott 89xi's for 2 years, and now I'm going on year 4 with a Shift Agent helmet. Ran 89xi's for a year and a half with this setup, then I tried Polaris goggles towards the end of that season ( those were awful for cold days ), and last year I tried the 509 Sinisters and they're almost as good as the 89xi's. With my current setup; Shift Agent helemt ( Now retails for only $150, was $190 when I got it ), 509 Sinister goggles ( Can be picked up for about $75 ), and a katahdin gear balaclava ( $4 for the one I have ), I have never been warmer. The balaclava covers my neck into my jacket and the only part of me that EVER gets cold is my hands, which will hopefully be fixed this year by a pair of motorfist gloves.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Why not just get an electric shield on the full face? If Moto-X setups are good to about 15 degrees, I wouldn't be riding much. The electric shild is the only way to go for no fog in any condition. Mine even melts freezing rain it the weather happens to change went out riding.

D

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Dman said:
Why not just get an electric shield on the full face? If Moto-X setups are good to about 15 degrees[/color=red], I wouldn't be riding much. The electric shild is the only way to go for no fog in any condition.[/color=green] Mine even melts freezing rain it the weather happens to change went out riding.

D

This must be coming from someone who doesnt have much riding time with a good MX helmet and goggle setup. I've ridden on a windy day, when the ACTUAL temperature was -36. Now factor in windchill from the machines speed, and the actual wind and thats wind chill of around -45. I rode until my hands were numb and put them on the exhaust to warm them up. The moisture in my gloves steamed off and I had to stop 4 times in 15 miles of riding because how cold my hands got but my head was fine.[/color=red]

My Polaris and Smith goggles fogged right up. My 509's have NEVER fogged on me. I put a water repellent ( basically a wax type material ) on it, and freezing rain just slides right off.[/color=green]

Another thing people dont realize is that those big helmets also weigh significantly more and strain your muscles in your neck and back more causing rider fatigue. I think the new Fly V2 carbon fiber helmet only weighs like, 2lbs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts