Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. So, i am in the market for a new helmet. I have a helmet with a visor and closed face. Anyway, i would like an open face helmet. One that would work in the mountains in some deep pow, and the extreme cold. Like, if possible. The coldest i ride in is probably about -35-40 Celcius. I have a small head, and it would be nice for it to be light. And, it would be nice if it looked well, and was red or black. I also LOVE redbull and Monster helmets.
And, i need a pair of goggles. Wich would be the best?
And how are some of the Gmax helmets? I have their closed face helmet and they are decent/

· Registered
2,957 Posts
For extreme cold, your going to want Scott Goggles. Voltage ProAir Snow goggles is what you want. Helmets dont really matter too too much. I personally like Shift and Fox helmets.

· Registered
3,226 Posts
I trust scott I have the 89xi turbo goggles they are some heavy duty goggles. I own 2 pairs of them. I am in the market for a new pair because my dog chewed my 509's up. I kind of want to step outside the box for goggles. I am going to try a pair of Dragon Mace goggles on their site they are pricey but on ebay they are not to bad for price.

· Registered
511 Posts
I'm using a GMax 37X helmet in the snowcross form with Scott 89XI OTG goggles. I only fog when stopped, but that's also because I wear glasses while riding. I really like my setup.

· Super Moderator
11,873 Posts
Everybody has an opinion on what THEY think is the best. The truth of the matter, is that you need to find what fits YOU!

First step would be finding a helmet you like. I have a HJC and Fox brand helmets. Personally, I liked the feeling of the HJC better. The Fox seems to be narrower in the jawline. If you have a local dealer, I suggest going there and trying on a few helmets. Even if you don't find the exact helmet you like, it will give you an idea of how the sizing works. I've found the online sizing charts are not accurate enough. According to them, I should have gotten a Large sized Fox helmet. I got a XL, and it is even a little tight. Trying them on first hand is the best bet.

Goggles...well...there's LOTS of opinions out there. You'll want a goggle that fits your helmet well...some do fit better than others. Taking your helmet (when you get one) to your dealer to try on goggles is a good idea. I used Scott goggles for alot of years and really liked them. Many people run the Scott 89xi turbo with good results. I personally am using Smith Snow Warps, SPY TargaII Snow, and 509 goggles. They all have different lenses for different light conditions. They have all fogged, but I am working on a 'fog free' solution. It's a matter of trying to to sweat too much, and evacuating your breath. Just because a goggle does not fog for one person, does not mean it won't fog for you.

Best of luck on your hunting...

· Registered
271 Posts
I have a 509 helmet with the 509 sinister goggles with a set of yellow tint lenses and polarized lenses.
The goggles fit in the helmet very nice. The helmet fits me well isn't to heavy. I have the matte black color.

The goggles do like to fog up when I'm sitting or moving very slow. The polarized lense are a little on the dark side at night but I can still see with them. I hardly ride at night so it doesn't bother me. The helmet has a vent right infront of your mouth its a straight threw so when it gets cold out your mouth does get a little on the cold side.

Over all I'm very happy with the goggle and helmet combo. I also got the quick straps for the goggle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.