Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A new rider here with a question. I already have a fairly good helmet, meant for auto racing. It's a Bell M2, only a year or two old. Do you think this would be ok for snowmobiling? Can i fit a heated visor to it? I have enough problems in the summer with the visor fogging, i haven't tried wearing it in the winter yet.

I'm hoping to not have to buy a seperate helmet for snowmobiling. Sould i use it? Is my head going to get too cold?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Try it and see. It might do OK, it might not. I personally have 2 helmets, a full face (the one in my pic below), and I also have a MX open face. I use the full face when it's real cold, or at night, cause I can see better when it's dark out. If it's a normal daylight and temp, then I like the MX style.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am willign to bet that your racing helmet had only one lense while you almost need a doulbe lense for snowmobiling.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi Mike
You should not get cold,maybe a little chilly if your helmet has front vents that can't be closed. Also most sled helmets come with a chin curtain ( keeps the wind out of the bottom of your helmet, I don't use mine)
The shield should at least be replace with a double shield, but a double heated is the best. It works like a rear window defogger in your car. You just have to remember to unplug it before jumping off your sled. If you don't you should get a few laughs from your buddies.[:D]
Hope this helps ,happy sleddin.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/myhelmets.jpg

There's the helmets I use, I much prefer the blue one over the black one, even my goggles have a single lens, and I rarely have trouble with fog, seems to only fog if it's terribly cold and I stand around with them on.

Although when it's really cold I usually wear the full face one cuz it's warmer. I'm also getting an electric shield for my full face one for this winter, my double shield fogs like crazy and it's annoying.

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/march14water4.jpg

There's a pic of me wearing my moto-X helmet

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/dmtrip2act100.jpg

There's a pic of me wearing my full face helmet

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definetly single lens. Can i get a double lens or heated lens for that helmet? are all bell lenses interchangable?

I'll probably get another helmet. I want to get an open face, that i can wear goggles with. When i used my machine last year (on private property, no public trails) i wore ski goggles, and a regular snow hat. Now that i plan on getting out on the trails, with all the maniacs, i want a helmet. I'll keep the auto helmet as a spare.

Mike

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Another option would be to take the lense out in the winter and buy some good goggles. If your head gets cold buy a head sock. I have one with a built in mask like you would wear skiing. Works great down to around 0 to -10 or so.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by mike944
[br] Now that i plan on getting out on the trails, with all the maniacs, i want a helmet. I'll keep the auto helmet as a spare.
Hey Mike, watch the maniac cracks. Some us are from Maine afterall. Why not substitute "no count selfish SOBs" or something to that effect. [xx(]

·
Registered
432 Posts
As stated, You should get a lens that is suited for snow use. The helmet itself would be fine. Pretty sure that snow helmet lenses are a little bit softer, maybe since the cold they are used in. I've never needed any more to keep warm than the helmet itself. 'Course I don't usually ride if it is dangerously cold out.

If you can change out the lens seasonally, you wouldn't need to get a separate helmet entirely.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hay, iv got some pics and some video, how do i get the pics on the post like these are, also how do i get my pic of a good big air i did put up next to my posts and in my "profile???

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Hey Dave,

When you are posting if you want to post a photo click the PAPERCLIP icon on the row of buttons, then browse your hard drive to pic the photo you want to upload.

If you have any questions let us know.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
P-man is the blue one a TKX, I've got the same one. I really like it for the summer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts