Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the game. ZERO experience, nothing, ZIP.
I just got my sled new from the dealership. My first start and run was short because the engine would die every time I came to a stop. Then, when I would pull, to start, the sled would move forward. I was able to start it on the roll and get it back home. I called the dealer who told me to check the belt and tell him what was happening. The belt was tight... so every time I pulled, to start, it was engaged. He told me to loosen the belt by widening or opening the rear clutch so I would be able to start the engine without the sled moving forward. When I did that he suggested that I run it around the block a few times and that the problem should be solved. I did that and the problem was not solved. I also noticed that it was not "gearing" up at all. In my short test run the speed of the sled was always following the RPM so my top speed was never over about maybe 20 MPH. I figure that the expanding clutch system "thing" was not working. Maybe they have the wrong size belt in it? I don't have a clue. Again, this is a brand new sled. The dealer is 3 hours away so taking it back to him to fix is not easy to do. Any suggestions? I'm new here and need some good advice. I'd like to ride it today. I hope I gave you guys enough information. The dealer is closed for the holiday.
Thanks,
JRO
[email protected]
Whistler/Pemberton

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
What are the numbers on the belt.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Take the belt off and start the machine. Be ready to kill it if it goes above 5000 rpm. watch the clutch on the motor and make sure it goes in and out as the rpm climbs. It is probably fine.check the larger clutch by hand. make sure you can rotate the back halve of the clutch clockwise. hold it rotated about 90 degrees and then push the halve away from you. If nothing is binding or stuck then the clutches are probably fine. There will be resistance as you work against a spring inside the clutch. lastly adjust your big clutch so that the belt is higher than the pully by about 1/16 of an inch and make sure you can push down in the center of the belt to deflect it about 1.5 inches. If you cant achieve this deflection then the belt is likely to short.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing what hotrod just said. Running a machine with no belt isn't wise, no matter what the reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hot for more help.
The belt number is DF 3211080.
The dealer suggested I start it with the belt off too. I did it and the small forward clutch does go in and out as it should. I rode it for about 15 minutes hoping it would sort itself out like the dealer said it might, but, no success. It will not idle without moving forward and using the break kills the engine. To get it started I need to open the rear big clutch to give the belt enough slack to allow the engine to spin without pulling the belt.
I am stuck in my garage on a perfect snow day.
Is there an adjustment that seperates the two clutches?
The only other information I can think of adding is that the belt sits about 1/32" not 1/16" above the rear big clutch disk rim.
Should the belt touch BUT slip on the metal of the small clutch at low RPM?
Any other suggestions out there?
Thanks,
JRO

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It seems like the primary is grabbing, how much does the belt move (up, and down) in the middle between both clutches.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
There are two things you can check. First off lets assume the dealer gave you the right belt. The first thing is there should be between .010 and .030 clearance between the side of the belt and the primary clutch sheaves when the belt is down on the shaft. If there is no clearance you will have to take it back to the dealer for the clutch to be shimmed. Second is the belt deflection. You should be able to press the belt down about an inch or maybe a litte more in the middle between the 2 clutches. If it is too tight you need to adjust your secondary clutch to let the belt drop farther into the sheaves on the secondary. The procedure should be in your owners manual which you should have if your sled is new. On my Polaris you just loosen 3 bolts and turn a metal plate. One of my racing buddies says to adjust it so that the belt squeals and then back it off just a litte. The point here is to have your belt as tight as possible without binding at idle. It goes without saying that these checks should be made with the engine off, sorry if that offended but you said no experience.

If you can't get it running check the part no. on the belt that should be in your owners manual also or you can go to someplace like kimpex.com to find out for yourself.

Hope this helps, there are a lot of guys on this site that know more than I do so just hang in there and they'll be around. I know how it feels to want to ride but you can't.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
jack the back end of ur sled up and then open hood and run engine and see what ur clutches do, u shouldnt need to mess w/ the clutches to get it started w/ the track off of the ground, make sure that the sled wont fall and just rev it up a few times and watch the clutches and then post what they did and the guys might be able to help ya out a lil more, this lets u see what both clutches are doin instead of just the small one because the belt is on

Small clutch in front of sled is called the primary clutch

larger clutch further back is called teh secondary clutch.

PS:welcome to the forum man, where are u from that the dealer is 3 hours away, i thot it was bad here whent he dealer is bout an hour away no matter where u wanna go to find one...lol

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I was just thinking, although this is no help. Polaris has only a few center to center distances on thier machines, My xcr800 is 12.5" and I know that a lot of the others are 12" I wonder if you got a 12 belt when you needed a 12.5.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
this may just confuse u more, or might help, i dont knwo if this is accurate either, but i looked in dennis kirk and on kimpex.com, they dont have the belts for 2003 model years, but for 00-02 the belts have been the same...your belt number was DF 3211080, the belt number in the other catologs for the 2000 THROUGH 2002 model years is 3211065, i dont knwo if this applies to 03 or not th...just a thot

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think we have BINGO here:

"[yellow]The first thing is there should be between .010 and .030 clearance between the side of the belt and the primary clutch sheaves when the belt is down on the shaft.[/yellow]"

I just checked. My belt rides on the sides of the primary clutch sheaves about a 1/4" off the shaft.

I don't understand how this was allowed to be sold like this.
Anything else I should check or worry about?
I thought I was going to just pull and go.

Can I fix this myself at home?
I don't want give the dealer a second chance at wasting my time.

I'm up in Pemberton/Whistler. I bought it in Langley which is about 2.5 - 3 hours south when there is snow on the road.

Hey, thanks for all your help. This is a great forum. Call me when you come up to Pemberton/Whistler.

JRO

/polarisman/../images/users/JRO/Polaris.JPG

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe that picture is priceless. I would definitely say wrong belt. I would also be calling that dealership to let them know how much you appreciate their efficiency.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hotrod
Only reason i didnt get a new Prox 800 this year was because the stupid dealer decided to start the sled with no belt and guess what? blew the friggen clutch up. With no belt means no drag with no drag means super faster rpms. see the point we ( p-man and myself) are trying to make?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, that pic definately says it all. Either the dealer gave you the wrong belt, or he didn't shim the clutch enough for the belt he gave you. Bottom line, the dealer f'd up. Unless you want to puchase an new belt yourself you're going to have to go back to your dealer for the correct belt. Oh, and if you don't bring your sled with you, I'd definately bring that pic. Call him first, he may require you to bring the sled. Hate for you to have to make more than one trip.

PS In hotrod's defense, he did say to be careful when opperating the engine without the belt, and to be ready to kill the engine if it goes over 5000 rpm's. Just a side note. [;)]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks Tfin. Nice to see some people read the whole posts. I am always just trying to help, and I felt particularly bad for this guy. I would never recomend something that I havent proven to be safe probably many times over as a mechanic and avid polaris guy for the last 25 years.I also give the appropriate safety tips as Tfin noticed. The dealer who obviously over reved the sled for bobby should read our posts he might learn something. LOL.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So... What do you guys think about the 2003 Polaris 800 Vertical Escape with the 159 track? How many of you would rather have the 2003 Yamaha 4 stroke?
Given the chance, would any one trade?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by JRO
[br]So... What do you guys think about the 2003 Polaris 800 Vertical Escape with the 159 track? How many of you would rather have the 2003 Yamaha 4 stroke?
Given the chance, would any one trade?
If i lived in, or near the mountains, there is no question i would want the Vertical Escape. But since i live on mostly flat land, i would take the RX-1 for trail and lake riding. But if your talking about the RX-1 Mountain sled, then i would still take the Vertical Escape because it is alot lighter and weight is a very important issue for mountain riders. IMO.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
are u sure u got the right belt b4 u do any major work to it, maybe call up a different dealer and just ask what kind of belt you would need for a 800RMK....that might save u a 3 hour trip and tons of money...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts