Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help fast. This is my weekend to go up and ride with my friends and I don't know if I will get another chance this winter. As some of you know I have been fighting with this sled for months.

The XLT is all back together with the crank pinned so it can't slip again. Went through carbs again, everything is stock. Problem is this:

Sled just rips about 3 times around the yard then starts starving for fuel running real lean. If you stop it will barely idle for a minute then the idle comes right back up and runs fine unless you get on it again.

Fuel Tank has been drained, filter changed and fuel pump rebuilt. Mechanic is pulling his hair out because he doesn't want to give me the sled back until everything is right after all the work and machining he has done to get it running and I don't blame him. Especially since I am paying the bill.

Right now he has the carbs apart again and is checking them over. Jets are 270, e-clips on #4.

Has anyone seen this problem or have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Jeeze, other than making sure all the jets are clean as is all the passage ways in the carbs themselves. You say its running lean.....are the plug tips white, or too light of a color? Are the plugs wet or dry when you check em'?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs look great, carbs have been gone through 3 times now. It seems to me like once the gas is used up in the bowls the pump can't keep up until you slow way down.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmmmm, you say the fuel pump was rebuilt too. I'm kind of at a loss on this one. Electrical related maybe? CDI box, stator? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, we checked the pickup and filter in the tank. The fuel pump was rebuilt after we noticed the problem and the problem didn't go away and we were pretty sure that it wasnt bad to begin with because it held vacuum. I don't know about the pulse line will have to see.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thanks for all your help. Problem was massive fuel system contamination. Went through it again and found more sediment in tank. I guess thats to be expected from a 6 year old sled with only 900 miles on it. Sled is now ripping and I am so out of here. I will let you know how it went next week after I get back from Cadillac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts