Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me exactly how to check and adjust track alignment and tension for a 1997 ski-doo formula 500. I know I have to loosen the rear idler wheel bolts then loosen the nuts on the adjustment bolts - but how do I make sure it is aligned ok and also tensioned ok ? what procedure do I use to tighten it all back up ?

·
Registered
837 Posts
there are no bolts to loosen on the adjusters, you just turn them with a 16mm wrench, i set mine so when the rear end is off the ground the brack hangs about 1-1.5in and to get side to side i measure how much bolt is sticking out on the adjusters and i check for the smae amount of preasure on each side

·
Registered
837 Posts
no that bolt in between the metal piece is there it hold the position, just turn the main adjust and it will do, the only onse that have lock nuts are on the mxzx 400 race sleds and i don't think you have those on there unless the privius owner put them on, just toolen the bolts on the wheels then turn the adjuster, get the track set then retighten the wheel bots, done, no set nut

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
here is what i do:

to check the tension, prop the rear of machine and make sure ice and everything off of skid and spin track a bit, then pull down in about the center of the track w/ 20lbs of force and look in owners manuel for the specs on what the deflection should be...it should say in there, and it explains how to do it in there. on mine its 1 1/2" to 1 3/4"...then to adjust tension u shoud loosen the bolt through the rear axle, there are set nuts to loosen, the adjust the bolts as nescesary and tighten set nuts back up.

for alignment: start it up and spin the track a lil and then let it stop on its on, shut off the machine, and measure from the rear idler wheels to the edge of the track on both sides. if they are different, tighten the side that has more space between the idler wheel and edge of the track, little adjustments only, it doesnt take much, then start up machine and spin track and check again.once it is set good, tighten evertyhing back up and u should be good to go

mattgross: u must loosen the set nut to to adjust tension and alignment, i havent seen a sled w/o a set nut on the adjusting bolt, w/o the set nut, the bolt would eventually work its way out and ur settins would be lost

1 - 5 of 5 Posts