Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving down the trail today probably like 15 minutes into it and i noticed smoke comming from under the hood i stoped and the antifreeze was comming out the overflow tube..its never done that before and there wasnt to much antifreeze in it..and plus i noticed the heat exchanger in the rear was very hot almost burned my hand and im pretty sure it normally doesnt get that hot,ive checked it before...what could it be?

·
Registered
699 Posts
some trails have miniamal snow on them and it takes snow to cool down your heat exchangers so if there isnt much get thrown up there to cool it down then it will over heat

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but my temp light never came on and there was alot of ice build up on the tunnel around the heat exchanger??

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
What kinda of sled you have? It could be a leaking head gasket....that will push the antifreeze right out.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the sled is a 2003 polaris sks...its not the head gasket at least it wasnt leaking from there...it was flowing out the overflow but it wasnt overfilled when i left..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Make sure your wire that goes from your temperature sending unit is connected, they do get disconnected sometimes & they're hard to see. I really don't like the idiot light idea, a gauge is much better - that way you know if it's working or if it's not.
With a liquid cooled sled you really have to dive off the trail (especially with a paddle track) to get some snow up into the track so the snow gets thrown onto your heat exchangers.
Burp your cooling system, it's definitely low after it was overflowing into the bottle & maybe you have an airlock in the system?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
You wouldn't see it leaking form the head, it would crack or break on the inside....so the pressure from the engine, would go into the colling system, therefore pushing coolant out where ever it goes out easiest. Also, could be what NightTrain suggested.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i checked the wires they all seemed to be ok.i rode another hour or so after i noticed it and it didnt seem to happen again and when i got home after the sled cooled off the level of the antifreeze was just about where it was suppose to be..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Maybe those 2003 SKS have a cooling problem. There is another member if this site with the exact same problem. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm starting to think that the tall tunnel was not the best place to put the only cooler. Check with your dealer and see if they have a tsch bulitin on it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My big beef with my new xcr was no gauge. I hate idiot lights. Ive never seem mine over heat, so I have been living with the light. I'd try installing a gauge, if it happens again you would at least be able to connect the trail conditions to the temps. My old xcr you could watch it creep if you ran sustained icepack, usually late winter running.
With picks and extra wheels I've been able to run 5-10 miles on ice without issue, it makes it's own snow dust. Last winter we stopped a few times because of guy in our crew, 00-02 polaris with m10 had issues in the same conditions as did most of the skidoo-s we were with, 01 legend 700, 02 mxz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts