Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for some help on where to start with jetting on my 91 Indy 650. The sled is bored .020 over with Wiesco pistons. The carbs right now are at stock with 260 main, 45 pilot and 3rd clip on pin. I'm just putting the thing back together now and would like to know where i should be going with the jetting setup. I don't want to ride a grenade and pump out as much power as possible, I want a reliable and safe setting so I don't blow a hole in my piston again!

The sled also has a stock primary clutch with a blue Polaris spring as is the secondary. Carbs are all stock VM38's, I'm running stock airbox and stock exhaust. Gearing is all stock as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Kyle

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i would run stock jetting, theres really nothing done to the motor to warrant rejetting also giving the fact theyre usually set up rich from the factory. as for the going .020 over affecting it, i wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks alot, I've been looking for a while for tips on how to jet for my bore and couldn't find anything. Good to know that stock will be fine. Thanks for the help!
-kyle

Oh and just curious, you guys got a ton of snow recently down there in PA right? Is there any left, we got crap this winter up here in MA.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Lemans1955 said:
Ok thanks alot, I've been looking for a while for tips on how to jet for my bore and couldn't find anything. Good to know that stock will be fine. Thanks for the help!
-kyle

Oh and just curious, you guys got a ton of snow recently down there in PA right? Is there any left, we got crap this winter up here in MA.
I,d be doing some runs and be checking the plugs when you get it back together just to make sure you don,t have a lean problem caused by vacuum leak,carb, fuel system issues etc.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
im in northwestern pa and we did pretty decent, not a ton of snow but it was on the ground awhile.
and yes be sure to check plug color often after the rebuild, to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll make sure to double check the plugs when I get it back together. Oh one more question I can't seem to find any answer to, can I use standard rings on my Wiesco pistons? and will they work in my bored out cylinders? I put a mic to them and the Wiesco rings that came with the piston I'm replacing and they seem identical other than color. I thought I heard that u have to use Weisco rings with their pistons or vice versa you can't use Weisco rings with anyone other pistons but I can't remember where I heard that and if it holds any merit. I'm just waiting for my clutch puller to some in so I can tear into the crankcase and replace all the seals and gaskets then I'm starting the top end in a few days.
Thanks Guys
-Kyle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts