Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 indy 500 L/C....
the sled has about 2800mi on it and i started it for the first time in about 2 months today..it ran fine and all the lights were fine when i started it but after about 5 mins of running all the lights went dim and it seems like the whole electrical system is affected..what would cause this and will it go away??

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Have you checked the regulator by the footwell.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no....how do i check it

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i would just clean the connection towers, and if it keeps doing it, then you will have to buy a new one

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have had that problem with my '99 xc700, except it was only my headlight and taillight. It happened a few times running it in the shop and once on the trail but never after that...checked all connections, di-electric grease in the proper areas and I hope it doesn't return. Good luck and let it SNOW!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had the same thing with my xlt. It ran fine, but all the lights were dim. I changed the Voltage Regulator, and thats what it was.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
i'm having the same issue with my sled. As stated above, all it is, is the voltage regulator. When the lights go dim, to see if its the regulator, unplug it for a second or two and the lights should be back bright. Dont leave it unplugged too long or you'll burn out every bulb on your sled. But its just a quick way to see whats going on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Heinz- My 95 EFI 500 does the same thing at start up. Once it warms up the lights stay bright and I don't have an issue. I remember when I posted the same problem about two years ago I got a lot of responses saying that is a pretty common problem with our model sleds.

See you on the Greenway trail- soon I hope!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've had the problem once. I turned out to be a short in the cable for my heated shield. Just something to check.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I recently had that problem with '00 XCR and comes to find out the voltage regulator went bad - order from HPE for 15.95 (Polaris wants way more for theirs) and problem solved. Of course, I had to replaced all the dead bulbs I blew out. WL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts