Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for looking.

My friend is trying to do a rolled chain-case kit on his 96 Ultra. The instructions for the kit emphasize the 97 through 99 models but mention rmk’s up to 01. He put the plates on and cut the 2” holes in his tunnel and went to match the chain-case up and realized that the kit has a 7 inch center to center and his case is a 6 5/8 inch C to C…. The mounting tabs on the case are also located in different positions. The worst one being the lower tab that blocks the added “skid plate” below the belly pan from being installable. Obviously the kit and case were never meant to go together, but the sled has big holes drilled in it now. Does anyone know the chain-case history between 96 and 99 that could tell us when they changed cases or what machines use a 7 inch C to C jack shaft, drive axle layout? He is going to have to hunt down a new case or do some major reworking.

Update: He just called me as I’m writing. The kit was a deal at the local shop. It was originally ordered for a Storm (not sure which year). The manufacturer is WONG……. This has to be a joke…. The wong kit for his machine. Ugh. Well If anyone has any input on how he can salvage this project gone wong please let me know and I’ll pass it along. I have to emphasize that I didn't do this, I'm just trying to help this guy out. Thanks a bunch in advance!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
sounds to me that if the kit is for a storm then there might be a possibility that a storm chaincase could work in his sled. I'm not sure if some additional fabricating would be needed or if it is possible to change to a storm's chaincase. However it might be worth a shot. also ask your friend if he has ever heard the saying measure twice, cut once....lol j/k

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wong's is a an actual name of a reputable template supplier.

The kit I use also list them available for 89-96 & 97-01.

Sounds to me like he got a kit for the earlier models with maybe the instructions for a newer one??, not sure what a 95 storm has for C-C on their chaincase but it would be worth a look.

That sucks though.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I wasn't knocking the kit. I just thought the pun was fitting considering the situation. The kit itself is actually a very clean and well crafted bit of work. If my friend was putting the kit on the machine it was intended for I'm sure he would be up and running by now with one clean machine. Thanks for the info. We have a complete 97 xc chassis without a motor that we might try to swap the ultra powerplant over to. Has anyone out there done this? A quick comparison makes me think that the motor mount plates are very different due to the rack style steering on the xc and the different mounting height of the reed - vs - piston port motor. One big headache overall. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Good Wuck with your Wong Kit.LOL

Any chance it can be plated from inside the tunnel, and re drilled?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the original 2" holes are still untouched and we should be able to relocate everything back to stock. We might have to add some reinforcement to make up for the holes he cut. We will have to fab a smaller plate with a 90 degree edge to make up for the area on the right side that was removed to make up for the case extending below the bulkhead. I'm experienced enough to get this done, he is motivated and if all else fails we have a a retired genius in the family that used to do structural repair on aircraft. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would the retired genius in your family have any ideas about how to straiten out aluminum or maybe a tunnel?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Have the pieces welded back in, grind the welds smooth, then start over with the right kit.

BTW, Wong is a family name, and they owned a Ski Doo shop here in Idaho. (Fairfield I beleive) They are famous with the local Doo riders, especially the older ones. They were pioneers in rolling and later dropping chaincases. Their engine work was top notch, and their engine and clutching secret set-ups were top secret and only shared with some of their long time customers. I think they have gone out of business except for one of the kids still does a little bit in the machine shop. Mostly clutch and engine work was the last I heard. There is a place in McCall near Brundage ski resort called "Wong's Bowl". Been there several times.

Just a little lesson in our heritage as snowmobilers.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the input. Believe me when I say no insult was intended at the Wong family name and I apologize if I offended anyone. My friend talked to the dealer he got the kit from and they admitted they forgot to tell him about needing a different chaincase. They ordered him the proper case for well under cost, hopefully this will be the cure.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Originally posted by ProjectRMK
[br]Have the pieces welded back in, grind the welds smooth, then start over with the right kit.

BTW, Wong is a family name, and they owned a Ski Doo shop here in Idaho. (Fairfield I beleive) They are famous with the local Doo riders, especially the older ones. They were pioneers in rolling and later dropping chaincases. Their engine work was top notch, and their engine and clutching secret set-ups were top secret and only shared with some of their long time customers. I think they have gone out of business except for one of the kids still does a little bit in the machine shop. Mostly clutch and engine work was the last I heard. There is a place in McCall near Brundage ski resort called "Wong's Bowl". Been there several times.

Just a little lesson in our heritage as snowmobilers.
You can also call Wilderness Outdoor Sports in New Plymouth, Idaho as the guy who used to do the porting at Wong's is doing lots of really good machine work there.
He might have some input as to what chain case might work for the holes he already cut.
Talk to Bill Laughton there, He REALLY knows his stuff.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Originally posted by AKnarrowback
[br]Thanks again for the input. Believe me when I say no insult was intended at the Wong family name and I apologize if I offended anyone. My friend talked to the dealer he got the kit from and they admitted they forgot to tell him about needing a different chaincase. They ordered him the proper case for well under cost, hopefully this will be the cure.
There you go
Hopefully this cures the problem

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Get a TIG welder and weld the cut material back in, plating your bulkhead will only cause more problems.
Once the holes are filled back in get the right plate.....not the wong plate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts