Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for looking.

My friend is trying to do a rolled chain-case kit on his 96 Ultra RMK. The instructions for the kit emphasize the 97 through 99 models but mention rmk’s up to 01. He put the plates on and cut the 2” holes in his tunnel and went to match the chain-case up and realized that the kit has a 7 inch center to center and his case is a 6 5/8 inch C to C…. The mounting tabs on the case are also located in different positions. The worst one being the lower tab that blocks the added “skid plate” below the belly pan from being installable. Obviously the kit and case were never meant to go together, but the sled has big holes drilled in it now. Does anyone know the chain-case history between 96 and 99 that could tell us when they changed cases or what machines use a 7 inch C to C jack shaft, drive axle layout? He is going to have to hunt down a new case or do some major reworking.

Update: He just called me as I’m writing. The kit was a deal at the local shop. It was originally ordered for a Storm (not sure which year). The manufacturer is WONG……. This has to be a joke…. The wong kit for his machine. Ugh. Well If anyone has any input on how he can salvage this project gone wong please let me know and I’ll pass it along. I have to emphasize that I didn't do this, I'm just trying to help this guy out. Thanks a bunch in advance!

[red]edited by rev500ss - Double post this one is locked![/red]

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
as long as he used a hole saw and didn't throw away the plugs those could be welded back in. Even if those aren't available it could still be welded up and ground smooth.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree. And there are plenty of good aluminum welders in Fairbanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm pretty sure the chaincase from a 98 xc 700 is the 7.05 chaincase. They were rolled more in the chassis stock for stud clearance. He should just be able to buy one of these and it should bolt right up to the holes he has in there now from the kit i would think. They should be easy to find used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.