Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Im new to snowmobiling. Ive always borrowed someone sled in the past for a day here or a day there. Since this was such a great snowy winter in northern Wisconsin, the wife and I purchased a 97 indy 500 2 up with the xtra 10 suspension. We quickly found out that the xtra 10 should have been call the "nothing xtra 10 is not enough" suspension. With two of us on the sled it doesnt take much to bottom it out on just about every bump we hit. I was looking at craigslist and found an xtra 12 suspension for sale.
I dont know how much work would be involved with in switching the 12 onto the existing 10. Are the mount points the same? Would the 12 even give me the travel I want or would i just be better off with a stiffer spring on the 10? If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.

Also, I bought this sled knowing it had some issues with bogging down. After three trips to the polaris dealer, and a 281 bill for carb cleaning, they figured out that it is crank seals. They have to replace them. The price quote was $625. I only paid $600 for the sled. Aside from splitting the case and putting the seals in and re-sealing it i figure i can do alot of the work myslef. Pull the motor, remove the recoil and stator, and flywheel. Am I forgetting anything for this project that I may need to do or that my be above my skill set? Is there anything else that I should have done, or do myself, since the lower end will be apart and the motor out? They did a leak down test and the mechanic said not to touch the pistons or rings as it holds nearly 100% of the pressure. Or as I would call it in a car, full compression.

This sled also have over 6000 miles, the slides are good, the track is fair. Other than that, what other parts should i look at for wear or replacement for a sled that is 17 years old?

Any advice or opinions are very welcomed, again Im new to snowmobiling.

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stick with the Xtra 10. purchase new HD springs for the rear suspension and set them on a higher setting when ridding double. maybe replace the shock while you are under there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
take out engine yourself and then take to good shop- saves labor cost. extra 12 is good on my 2001 classic 700 with adjustable electric shock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts