Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K, so last year at the end of the winter i blew one of my piston skirts, being a cheap 17 year old i just put new pistons and gaskets in. So now about 250 miles later im starting to see some of the symptoms before it went last time again. And im sure the clearence is way to high. So i want to ride this thing and fix it right so off to the local sled parts store i go and get 2 new renaskiled pots, new pistons and gaskets and before i install them i want to ensure they will work good. i checked the cleasences and what concerns me is that the piston has about .020'' of movement at the top but about .0035 at the piston base. i like the .0035 but the .020 scares me, any opinions?

Oh and there spx pistons

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
What kind of sled is it? If you get the right pistons/cylinders for your sled, your doing nothing wrong as to buying the right stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will_5 said:
What kind of sled is it? If you get the right pistons/cylinders for your sled, your doing nothing wrong as to buying the right stuff.
02 zr 600 efi, yeah its supposed to be the right parts but what concernse me is that what there in the new cylinders you can physically move the top portion back and forth to the point that its real audible

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please post some pics if possible.
Also if you got the money I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Service Manuel for that year and model, Its worth its weight in gold.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just went through th same issue with my bored out 1010....im not familiar with spx pistons but if there forged aluminum pistons then their probably cam ground. I used wiesco pistons and they Are cam ground and slightly tapered, the thickest point is right around the wrist pin boss. The forged pistons also expand alot....and quickly at warmup. That's the reason for the slop...did you check your ring end gap....that's the easiest way to tell if the bore is the correct diameter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts