Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings forum!

I'm wondering if you all could give me some advice on how to spend my hard earned money before the government takes it all? A lot of you seem very knowledgeable so I'm hoping you can help. A little background: The last sled I owned was a 1973 Chaparral Firebird 340 when I was about 12. It liked to spit gas and backfire at me, and liked to foul plugs. I had a blast on it as a kid, but hoping for a better experience with newer stuff.

I live in Minnesota, and I'll be mainly doing riding around my house on lakes and local trails and ditches. I'm not planning on going anywhere fast either. I don't have the need or desire to go 100mph, but would like something decent. I'm about 230 lbs, and on occasion my wife might like to ride along, but I don't know if I need a two-up or not as I don't think she will be with often. I'd like to buy used, and spend <$2000. Here's some questions-

- Polaris or Ski-doo or other? Lots of Polaris sleds around, and I just generally like them. Ski-doo has a good rep, but why is everything yellow? Geez!

- Liquid or Fan? How big? 500? 600? Bigger? I'm looking for reliability and decent gas mileage, but it would be nice to be able to "scoot" if
you know what I mean.

- Pipes, studs, bottles? Do I need or want this stuff? Studs I get I probably need, but how many. Anything I should be weary of?

- 1 up or 2 up? The concept of a two-up sled seems neat. But also I've seen these seat adapters around - Do those work ok? Again, my wife might like to ride along a bit now and then. Not a lot of two-up sleds for sale up here either.

I know these are pretty general, but looking for some guidance. I'm tending to look at a lot of Polaris Indy 500-600 types, seems like a good sled. Seems like I'm finding 1995 to 1999 sleds in this price range.

Any knowledge you can borrow to me would me much appreciated!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
You should be able to find a nice sled for that price. A Indy 500 liquid sounds like a good canidate for you,they are super reliable and will still hit 80mph if you feel the desire to. I would look for a 1996-2006 because of the better suspension. These motors can go 10K+ miles if maintained properly. You should be able to find one for under 2G pretty easy,look for one with lower miles "under 3000" and that doesnt look abused and it should last you along time.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Just keep your eyes peeled. For the 2g's you're wanting to spend you can get a lot of sled for that. In fact, I know of an 03' xcsp 700 for 2200 right now. That sled is located in maple grove mn. Send me a pm if you're interested. I'll log back on tonight im sure.

Adam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqfMX_iqjsQ

That's the same sled cept my buddies is red where that one is blue.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Finding a great sled under $2g is a matter of having the cash in hand, and being ready to jump when the opportunity presents itself.

I just snagged a 2003 Polaris SKS 700, with a fresh top end and a list of add-ons, for $1,800.. It books for between $2,600 and $3,500 depending on condition. (this has high mileage, but is at the top end for condition)

2010926202617140_18890.jpg

There's a wide variety of sleds that will fit into your criteria, the best bet is to pick out something you like, and take your time to find the right one. Then take someone that knows sleds well with you to check it out before you buy it.

If you buy the first sled that fits in your price range, you may not like the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
the older indy's are awesome sleds, but im a ski-doo fan, i just bought an 03 600 ho rev, i love it, awesome in the ditch, quick in the trails and over all comfortable to ride long distance,, i have never had a problem with my 600 and it will "scoot". if you want better gas mileage try a 600 or a 500 fan, 500 is very reliable but little less power. you wont need a bottle, just more headaches, studs are always nice but not totally needed, and if you do go light and put 40 to 70 in. stock pipe is quiet, and they dont make much of a difference other than piss off neighbors haha, i have an slp can on mine and i like it, but it is loud. but it all really comes down to what you like and want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is kind of what I'm thinking - The ad does not mention it, but it is a 1998 Indy 500. No aftermarket parts.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/rvs/1972282799.html

What does "Extra 10" mean?

Small tear in seat, etc. He is asking $1300. So in "sled world" what is a reasonable offer on something like this?

This one looks real nice, another 1998 Indy 500- but I talked to him and he's not dealing. Seems like a lot of $ just for low miles.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/rvs/1975935760.html

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And why, does almost EVERY SINGLE AD, say "Wife's sled, she never rode it" or something to that effect? It reminds me of the sleazy car dealer with the "Little old lady from Florida drove this gem. Never went over 55 and always babied" line. Or "Highway miles only".

How do I know your wife isn't a crazy snowmobile rider, and she didn't crash it and abuse it?

Some people will say anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
http://www.kbb.com/snowmobile/retail/1998/polaris/indy-500/77249

Here is a good site to get estimated values of sleds,its showing $1260 for that sled. Tell the seller the sled books for that price and you might be able to get him to move on his price a little more. Location and sled condition plays a factor on the value of it,some will be higher and some will be lower then the book price.

dmbfreek said:
And why, does almost EVERY SINGLE AD, say "Wife's sled, she never rode it" or something to that effect? It reminds me of the sleazy car dealer with the "Little old lady from Florida drove this gem. Never went over 55 and always babied" line. Or "Highway miles only".

How do I know your wife isn't a crazy snowmobile rider, and she didn't crash it and abuse it?

Some people will say anything.

I have noticed quite abit of that to. I wonder if Ashley Chaffin advertises her sled as "lady driven" when she sells it?
Here is a pic of her launching it 131ft [8D]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. Well, looked at 3 sleds and bought one! I had called on 3 others, they were all gone. Seems like the <$2000 sled market is pretty fluid here.

Anyway, got a 1998 Indy 500 with about 3400 miles on it. Paid $1200 which might be a little high, but this thing was pretty clean, no studs, no funny pipes, ports, or other go-fast contraptions installed. I wanted a stock sled, and found it.

Now off to the Polaris tech section here to ask you all more questions on what I need to do next.

Thanks again for the help. I hope to be able to give back some knowledge someday as well.

;~)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts