Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys help me understand why people buy a 600cc sled and throw 2000.00 bucks at it to get more horse power out of it w/ exhaust systems and air-box mods and clutching,reed valves....I just don't understand if you want a faster sled why not buy a 800cc sled or 1000 cc sled,wouldnt that be a cheaper route?...not to mention the only time your going to use all that speed is on the lakes, you cant do 120mph on the trails......I have a 500cc sled and thats plenty fast for me. Plus doing all these mods to your sled usually burns the motor down. Im not bashing anyone mind you,what you do w/ your money is up to you. Im just curious.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
usually because of price, typically you can get sleds with smaller motors for less money. also, different motors have inherent issues. for example issues with the earlier polaris 700/800 twins having crank problems. so it would make more sense to some people to get the 600 which is a very strong motor.

aside from that, mods you mentioned are not really top end speed mods. you can make all the power in the world and a sled will only go so fast without changing gears. the usual reason to make more power is to accelerate faster. it's exciting. it's fun.

smaller motored sleds also tend to weigh less, especially compared to 900/1000cc sleds.

insurance is cheaper on sleds with smaller motors for a lot of people too.

there are some reasons for you. it's all a matter of personal preference and what you want to accomplish in the end.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i dont do it but i know people who do and they do it for a hobby basically to see how fast they can get their 600 to go and then sell it and buy another one and do the same to it, i guess its just whatever floats your boat.[:D]

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
I'll be honest, I'm a prime example of what you speak of. I ride a '98 ZR 600 that I paid $2,500 for, and I have put abot $2,500 worth of mods into it.

I guess the main reason I did it, is when I had the money. The sled itself is all I could afford at the time. As time went on, I got more money, so I bought a few things for it, and continued on that path. Before too long, I have just as much money INTO the sled as the sled is worth. The sad part is, is that even with all the money into mods, I'm still only running with newer 600cc sleds. [^]

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by Quinlan
[br]I'll be honest, I'm a prime example of what you speak of. I ride a '98 ZR 600 that I paid $2,500 for, and I have put abot $2,500 worth of mods into it.

I guess the main reason I did it, is when I had the money. The sled itself is all I could afford at the time. As time went on, I got more money, so I bought a few things for it, and continued on that path. Before too long, I have just as much money INTO the sled as the sled is worth. The sad part is, is that even with all the money into mods, I'm still only running with newer 600cc sleds. [^]
yup, unfortunately that's the way it kinda goes. which is why the important part is to have fun and do what makes you happy instead of trying to keep up with someone else who has money for something newer. lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think you can take any size engine and someone will always try to find a way to make it faster than someone else's.

·
Registered
304 Posts
People ride their egos. Seriously. Others don't want to work on em, just ride. I wrenched on alot of sleds for a long time and I burnt out. I just wanna ride, pull the cord, and go. I have seen alot of people who Mod their sleds taking short-cuts, skipping essential steps to make everything work. Someone usually tows that sled back. Pisser, I thinik If you have the time, effort and knowledge, a Mod is way more fun. But ya gotta be willing to fix em yourself or shell out more cash for someone who knows what they are doing to fix/ set it up right. Hey, if you gotta have the highmark, drop that turbo in it. They work!

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Some people can't afford the big sleds right away and work them up, others look at weight savings or availability of aftermarket parts. A major part of it, is the enjoyment from putting the time and effort into it and of course bragging rights.

Also it's not all about top end. There is overall power, "get-up-and-go," and other things of that nature that improve the riding experience. Not all of us only ride trails either.

I'm not one of those mod guys, I'd like to be, but funds don't allow it. In the future, I'm looking more into engine swaps, suspension swaps, things like that. Perhaps I will skip all of that and just get a newer sled.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I'm a perfect example of what you are talking about. I have a 91' RXL for god sakes. I spent $380 to bring it home and then had to rebuild it. But it was fun. I added pipes, clutched, chipped it, and now I'm changing to a much better track with 8-tooth extroverted drivers. I do it because I like it, my dad shakes his head, but he was like this atone time as well. You mention lakes, Wisconsin has lakes, and I've got a 30 miles stretch not 3 miles down the road as my test track.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see it as similiar to the Car culture, Guys just can leave the stuff alone whether its modifying a 32 ford roadster a 69 camaro or a Honda civic We just can't leave things stock..

Like someone said you puchase within your means and modify to suit

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Its a good feeling to blow by a 800 on the lake with a 600.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
To some people, its fun to mod it up or swap some parts for different ones. Its that build-up to the winter, where a person starts looking at magazines and catelogs, and sees something they'd like to try on their machine.
Ya get some new parts and trot out to the garage, start turning wrenches, and get up close and personal with your sled.
Its no longer #56,228 off the production line. It is now somehow different from the other 56 thousand some-odd. It is unique.
That's why.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Because we can.
Stock sucks.

Also, we mod and generate more power and torque,
but we also gear down and make it pull harder, quicker, and slower on top end.
I don't give a crap about top speed.
Mountain riding is not that way.

Did I mention that stock sucks?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think it boils down to the whole small block theory, yeah a 700 or 800 have more top end, but if you line a 600 up with a 800 on the lake, the 800 has no advantage till about 55 60 mph, so if you can crank more HP out of the small block 600, than you might actually beat the 800 by enought length to hold it off till 1000 ft.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I put mods on my sled to make it perform better, not to blow people away. (would be cool though) I wanted better out of the hole for deep snow and good mid range power I haven't done a ton of mods but I have a few most of them I got cheap, others I put on it for Ride Quality. I spend enough in maintenance just keeping things new. Look at it this way what good is money if you dont spend it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by 98700xcBB
[br]Look at it this way what good is money if you dont spend it.
you can't take it with so you might as well spend it while you got it!!!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I see people do it for different reasons....ya know what I would like to see if I could feel the difference between a stock sled and a modded one.If it would be worth the $2000.00 bucks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts