1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to this forum.
Im looking to get a sled in 2004.
Which should i buy? Im looking at the ultimate-performance models,
but which should i buy the standard ultimate-performance or get something cheaper and upgrade it?
Ill be doing trails and just riding on the lake also doing jumps.
Im getting a SnowHawk and something else with 2 skiis :).
I need something that will not break down and get stuck; in the woods, on the lake and just about anywhere.
Ill be trail riding with groups of 3-10 people and need something that i can do 200+ miles on and not get very tired.
Also my 15 year old kid will be riding so i want something that will suit him,
he's had lots of experience with sleds, also dirt bike and watercrafts.
Im looking at:
Arctic Cat (which one? whats the diffrence between the SnoPros?)
Polaris Pro-X2
Ski-doo Rev (which one?)
Redline Revolt 800 (does anyone have any info on this sled? cost? specifications?)
Yamaha (haven't heard anything good about their sleds)

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
If you were to go with AC their firecat is a good sled but they have had some bugs since this is their first yr. The snopro has stiffer suspt and is more of a race sled. The sabercat would be a sled to consider to.

The polaris Por X is a very good sled in pretty much every catagory, iv heard good things about them and they seem to be very reliable.

Ski-doo the revs are pretty much all the same just depends what engine size you want.

yamaha- good sled but they have heavy triples in them.

the redline is a very expensive sled and I dont think you would want one because parts availibilty and stuff. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The thing to do is go down to the dealers and sit on all the machines that you might be looking at getting and see what one fits you the best. All of the machines are very good these days and you should get one that does what you want, deep snow, ditch banging, trail ridding, or one of the middle of the road machines like the SKS. It also depends on your ridding experance. If you are new to snowmachines then I would not get a high pro machine, a friend of mine just got a 2003 edge-x 700 and put a 136 2in paddle on it and it rips, check in the snow conditions for Alaska for some shots of him dropping some lips, but I would not recomend this machine for someone new to ridding.

Yamaha does make good machines, I have a 2000 MM 700 and have had no problems with it.

For your kid, if your going to do a mix of ridding like some trails and some deep snow I like the 550 fan trail from Polaris, its a good light machine for all conditions.

Depending on the kind of trails your going to be ridding on after 200 miles any machine you can get tired unless you have been ridding alot. If your looking at groomed trails then any machine will do a good job and you need to look at MPG so don't count out the new 4 strokes. The RX1 is a good machine but it is a bit heavy. The RX1 does get great gas miliage with plenty of snort.

As far as the Revs go I do not recomend them for jumping or hard bump ridding. I know a few people that bought them and almost all of them have bent the tunnels. All the Fronteir Films guys bent theres and had to beef them up. There are also a few up at our cabin and they have all bent as well. Ski-doo may have fixed this for next year but who knows.

Redlines are good machines but cost alot.

Sorry for all the babbling IMO go with a Polaris, my dad had a 1999 700 RMK that had just over 5000 miles on it when he sold it and he never changed a belt or a plug and my dad can ride. He has two first place finnishes and one fourth place in the IronDog, the year he came in fourth he sprained one ankle and fractured the other 900 miles from the finnish line. The year that my cousan, his wife, and myself went with him we rode the 1100 miles is just under 42 hours.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Get a FireCat 700 (F7) almost as fast as a 900, hands the bumps really well, lightest, EFI and some good after market suppliers that test each model then put out kits to make mods easier. Get your son aA F5 or an F6.
Sno pro is just racing shocks, they give you a stiffer ride but can take hard riding all day. I just have the regular suspention on my zr 900 and it works fine and I ride pretty hard.
I ordered a Firecat F6 for next year.

·
Registered
502 Posts
We had a RX-1, REV 600, REV 800, F-7, F-5 this year and didn't have problems with any of them except the f-7 which went down after 7 miles. Personally I didn't like the f-7 or the f-5 except the motor and power of them. The RX-1 is a fun sled to drive, but he riding position and overall ride is kinda crappy. I absolutely loved the REV's. The 800 is fast, and the 600 stays with the 800 and the f-7 up to about 85 before it starts to fall.
I didn't ride Polaris this year, cause they didn't have any new stuff that we had to test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the difference between the AC F7 and EFI?
Do you think the REV might be an option? Im getting an '04.
How much does the Pro-X2 weight?
Im looking at one of those probably.

Also could someone answere these questions?

Which should i buy? Im looking at the ultimate-performance models,
but which should i buy the standard ultimate-performance or get something cheaper and upgrade it?

Ill be doing trails and just riding on the lake also doing jumps, for example; which REV will suit me?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I am a Cat guy so I would go with the F-7 one of the guys here has one with the 1.5" x 144 track and it works great off trail and still handles great on the trail. Very fast great all around sled that won't leave you wanting more on the lake either.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i would get a polaris pro-x. I wouldn't get the pro-x2 because they are sprung tooo stiff for everyday trail riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey,
I've got a 2003 Pro X 800 and once the bugs and gremlins got worked out of it...there were a few...it was a great machine, and looks hot hot hot! i found it comfy for trail riding, it had the get up and go when I wanted it, and my partner said it was great for ditch banging and big air. HOWEVER if you are from Ontario the insurance is gonna kill ya![:(!] I paid an arm & a leg for the basics. That's my two cents worth!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
you mentioned rev's, the '04 rev x 600 h.o. sdi makes me tremble with excitement. the riding you talk about would definately be suited to a rev-x or pro-x or sno-pro. but if your new to riding, its easy to say this is what you'll be doing then get one of these ditch rockets and hate it... the best advice i heard was someone said go down to the dealers and "kick some tires", sit on 'em, see which color jacket and bibs you look best in, ha-ha.. just make sure you get what you want for the kind of pesos it takes to bring one of these babies home[:)][:)]

·
Registered
749 Posts
i still would just get the standard pro-x , cause i know that the pro-xr's are to stiff for the groomed trails.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
How much suspension do you think you need for groomed trails? Don't have many or any of those around here but I'm thinkin if its groomed flat how much can ya need.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Oh we too have trails but groomed would be a stretch for most of them 4' bumps. But hey I have grown to like pounding my big cat over the bumps it handles a lot better than most people would think. Indyman 423's point is probably a good one since most new comers aren't going to pound the sled down the trail hard enough to enjoy the benefits of the XR's rear set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys,
Whats the diffrence between the REV Trail and the REV Renegade?

Whats the diffrence between the F7 and F7 EFI?

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
The pro X 2 isn't any stiffer than the regular pro X, the Pro X 2 just has the funny lookin seat, and walker evans shocks, which are lighter and stuff. From what I've read it's not any softer though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the difference between the rev trail and renegade is track length. the rev comes with a 136 x 1.25 track vs the trail with 121 x 1. the rev also is equipped with an auxillary gas can and good storage space on the rear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts