Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to say thanks. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

To make a real long story short 1500mi, sled seized, blew PTO side? clutch side, cylinder. Scarred piston, exhaust and intake sides. Bored and honed .020. New top end. Carbs are clean.

50 miles later, seized again!!! Same cylinder. Possible crank seal leak. Damn. Crank bearings replaced, 3 were bad. Seals replaced, greased well. Crank trued, all OK. Cylinder honed, new top end again. All torqued to specs. 14 miles later, engine stall at idle. compression OK.

What I need to know is what could be causing this?

My backyard mechanic, who is "somewhat" knowledgeable is stumped.
He is replacing the oil pump check valve, "possible cause" he says. The oil pump bench tests' ok. Should I replace it anyways ?

He thinks I was screwed from the factory. 2 problems so far were the "oil cable line was set about 1/4 inch wrong, for the adjustment screw causing it to not get enough oil to the clutch side" And the main jet? has 5 settings for a clip, and it was set to the #3 instead of #1 as per manual and #'s on the jet.

Is there anything else anyone can think of?

I really don't have the money to keep buying parts over and over. Plus I'd really like to ride this year.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What type of sled is it? I can't help you, I am just curious...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1998 Ski-Doo MXZ 583.

And if anyone knows of existing problems with this model, feel free to list them :)

Thx

·
Registered
50 Posts
Crank seals letting air into the case causing a lean mixture. What do your plugs look like?

Start running oil in your gas eff the pump. See if that cures your problem.

Here is an easy way to check your crank seals: Start the beast up if it will start up. Then get a can of Carb cleaner and spray it all around the crank seals. You'll have to pull your pull starter off. If you hear the engine rpm change you know you have a bad crank seal.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My buddy has that exact same sled, He loves it, and it runs like a charm..He claims he will never trade it in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you checked with ski-doo for any factory recalls on your sled ?Call a dealer and give them the vin# and they will let you know. Also - have you checked the jet sizes to make sure they are running the factory specs ? My 97 doo runs a leaner jet on the mag side and a richer main jet on the pto side . Make sure the oil orifices that go into the carbs aren't blocked. ?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
did you say if the seals are now seated properly.. i supose if they werent the compression would be low.. but you said its fine so..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. I'll try to answer all of you in one post. The Crank seals were replaced and packed with grease, bearings too, all new.

Dealership says no recalls, nada. Small motorshops say all is good with this model. The jets are factory 280/260's? all stock never the less. Replaced oil check valve clutch side, seems to possibly be a fix :) the old one was iffy. Compression seems to be ok says mechanic.

Love the sled, just too bad it seems to be a finicky one.

I should find out more tomorrow, will let you all know the outcome. Thx.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts