Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry im posting so much, but i have come upon a little delema. U bought and fully paid for a 96 indy 440 about 2 years ago. I then sold it last year and gave the money to my partents so they could buy a new sled. They then gave me their 95 indy 500. I know i got a hell of a deal cuz thats sleds straight as an arrow and very clean and amazes me for a 500. Any way, when i grab a bunch of throttle, it doesn't have the snap of a new sled, for say my friends 02 xc 500. I Acctually beat that sled in a race tho. But i like that snap. I was wondering if a good clutch kit would do the trick. My problem occures when I want to buy the clutch kit. My dad thinks that the sled is still his, so he thinks he has say over if i can buy this or not. He keeps telling me NO, it will blow the sled up. He is a mechanic and thinks he knows it all.

I don't think a clutch would even hurt the sled. Can you guys give me some advice on this situation. I think im just going to buy it, and on day a box arrives at my house. And i say i don't know how this got here. And just install it myself. Any Advice ?? THanks!

AKA, indy500 or XCR800_has_balls

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
u shouldnt have given the money back to ur parents if u paid for it w/ ur money.....and go out and spend ur own money when u buy the sled, not spend parent's and pay them back.

a 95 isnt real new nemore, that is 8 years old now, doesnt seem like it does it? but i think a clutch kit would help, ur like me and like to feel the G's,

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Well if he is a mechanic, then he should know better that a clutch kit would only help the sled obtain it's full potential. A proper clutch kit will not blow up the engine. Indy 500's are very reliable. I had one and loved it.

To help get more throttle response back, start by making sure your carbs are clean and syncronized. After that, then blow out the clutch with an air compressor to get rid of belt dust. Your clutch may just need to be rebuilt if it has high mileage. Also, check to be sure you don't have a broken spring in your primary clutch (engine). An old worn-out belt will also result in bad standing-start acceleration. Once you KNOW the engine and components are running at their best, then start doing your own clutching or buy a kit.
Keep in mind that your older Indy 500 will never have the throttle response of the newer USA-built XC 500's.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
This might sound a little simple but, when was the last time you changed the drive belt. I changed mine on the last ride last year and the thing practically snapped out from underneath me.
An over haul of the carbs will also increase response if that has not been done in a while, unless it's FI.
Can't see how any clutch work would hurt an engine, unless it alows it to over-rev.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
If you buy a clutch kit made specifically for your sled then it should not harm your engine. I don't know where you were looking but if you want to check out this site www.hotseatperformance.com I know that when you look for clutch kits you pick your sled and whatever year it is so you should get the right one.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts