Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently redone top end on my sled new pistons and rings and mono block , I assembled it all with full synthetic oil and the sled is practically fully back together the oil reservoir is also topped off with full synthetic oil and I’ve just recently read that for break in you should use mineral oil to seat the rings better wondering what I should do, drain the resevoir and fill it with mineral and leave the full synthetic oil I used while assembling it to burn off until the mineral oil makes its way into it, would that be a bad idea? Or nothing to worry about, in terms of the quick change of oil in reservoir if I where to go that route. Or would leaving it the way it is be alright? Responses very much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently redone top end on my sled new pistons and rings and mono block , I assembled it all with full synthetic oil and the sled is practically fully back together the oil reservoir is also topped off with full synthetic oil and I’ve just recently read that for break in you should use mineral oil to seat the rings better wondering what I should do, drain the resevoir and fill it with mineral and leave the full synthetic oil I used while assembling it to burn off until the mineral oil makes its way into it, would that be a bad idea? Or nothing to worry about, in terms of the quick change of oil in reservoir if I where to go that route. Or would leaving it the way it is be alright? Responses very much appreciated!!!
I can't say for sure but when I bought my 2011 new they mixed oil in the gas for the initial break in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The reason for using non-synthetic oil is to allow the engine to wear.. synthetic oil is too slippery and the rings won't seat because they won't wear in. What I would do is suck out " most " of the oil from the reservoir and refill with conventional oil. Don't drain the entire tank so you don't risk getting air bubbles in the feed lines. Then mix your first tank at 50:1. This will ensure that the oil system is purged of all air.. IF you have any air in the oiling system, the oil in the fuel will save the engine. Run 2 tanks if fuel before refilling the reservoir with synthetic, after that you'll be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts