Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i need alittle help on my sled i just put in a set of boyesen reed pedals and a sno stuff can.so i took it for the first tour and it seems to run fine if you slowly get on the throttle or even if you just crack it, but sometimes it feels as if the middle is lagging or it is bogging?pulled plugs and one was light brown and the other was blacker.just wondering what your guys thoughts on what i should do are.thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Bogging = rich...Popping = lean. As you mentioned you pulled the plugs and one was blacker compared to the other. If its mid ranch throttle then its your needles. When you checked your plugs how were you riding?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know for sure what it was doing as for bogging or popping,the only pop i got was when i shut the sled off and a pop came from the can.when i check my plugs we were breaking dirfts and then alittle fast field running. i checked them as soon as i got home from riding
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
i have a 2000 xc sp 500. was set to rich from company, do you know what size mains you have?. because i have mine clutched, and have a sno-stuff rumble pack on mine also. my sled always ran rich so i threw a set of 210 mains in it and since then it hasnt had any bog. runs like topp!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im pretty sure they are just stock jets from the factory............guess i can take em out and check do you guys think jets could solve my problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
i had the exact same problem you speak of and it was like mid range to wide open bog, but once you got to wide open it would run right. all you have to do it pull the gass line and breather lines and spin the carbs upside down, take out the jets and go down a size, they should be stock jets which i think are around 210-220.i cant exactly remember but either i put 205's or 210's. it runs perfect. absolutely no bog whatsoever. and the plugs are a nice golden brown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
motorheaderr said:
i had the exact same problem you speak of and it was like mid range to wide open bog, but once you got to wide open it would run right. all you have to do it pull the gass line and breather lines and spin the carbs upside down, take out the jets and go down a size, they should be stock jets which i think are around 210-220.i cant exactly remember but either i put 205's or 210's. it runs perfect. absolutely no bog whatsoever. and the plugs are a nice golden brown.
His 2001 XcSp has different carbs than you. He has the Rack style Mikuni 38 flat slides. You Can't just "spin the around". But with the 2001's airbox, it is super easy to take the carbs out to work on them. You can leave them connected to the sled is some parts, all you need to do is remove the gas/air lines to pull it up to access the bowls. If your sled is boggy in the midrange you should adjust your needle clip to the 2nd position. And Make sure your jets and all holes are good and clean. It does sound like your sled is running a bit rich, so I suggest running #390 main jets, and find yourself some needles out of a 2002 xcsp. That should clear it up a bit. I think stock is like #420.

Also, are your exhaust valves working good and clean? as the midrange RPM's is where the exhaust valves open...

Oh, and it could just be bad gas...

Seeing as you have a 2001 XC 500 SP, here is the setup I ran last year, very nice upgrade from stock, definitely noticeable improvement.
-geared (21/40)
-clutched (10-56 weights, HSP blue/white (120/310) primary spring, secondary stock)
-jetted (380 mains, needles out of a 2002 500 v.e.s)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
woooahhhh...im sorry i said 220 mains holly smokes. idk if im gettin my dirt bike or somethin confused with my sled but i meant 420 is stock i dropped mine to 410's i think im not positive and also tried 390's and ran great.. the 390's ran a little too lean on the cold days tho

and jesse500 your wrong i have the exact same carbs he does, mine are the rack style mikuni 38's budd! but other than that i was just giving him the best info from what i've done since our sleds are pretty close to the same moded wise..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
motorheaderr said:
woooahhhh...im sorry i said 220 mains holly smokes. idk if im gettin my dirt bike or somethin confused with my sled but i meant 420 is stock i dropped mine to 410's i think im not positive and also tried 390's and ran great.. the 390's ran a little too lean on the cold days tho

and jesse500 your wrong i have the exact same carbs he does, mine are the rack style mikuni 38's budd! but other than that i was just giving him the best info from what i've done since our sleds are pretty close to the same moded wise..
I didn't know for sure, I just thought the fact you said you could spin them around, and its not possible with the rack style. well, not easily lol. I could have looked it up i guess.... lol

And I ran 390's 99% of the time, as I ride in condition down to -20*C. In march I ran #380's.



#400 + is still to rich, and robs a MPG or two, and a little bit of performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
2001xcsp500 said:
im pretty sure they are just stock jets from the factory............guess i can take em out and check do you guys think jets could solve my problem?
Havn't seen you on here for a while. We still need to go for a ride some time [thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya buddy this year we gotta get out. I took it out again last night and it has phases it will run decent for awhile then screw up then come back.put new plugs in it ran it,brought it home took the plugs out and the one was alittle dark and the left was white pretty sure that means its leaned way out?im sending it in to get the carbs cleaned and set up by my dads buddy who knows his stuff. wont cost anything either
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe you guys who know these carbs can help me out where bouts is the pilot air screw the manual on the reeds says to turn it clockwise
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top