Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I was out this weekend with my 94 Polaris 650 triple RXL. I rode it all weekend with no problems, then on the last day I was whipping across the lake and I heard a metal grinding noise. Sounded like the crank chain broke or came off. When I got it home I popped the cover and the chain was on but was not riding on the lower sprocket properly, and was very tight, did not hang like it should. I pulled it and when I pulled the lower driveshaft sprocket I noticed that the shaft was not centred in the lower casing. This makes me think that something in there is broken as well. It is a bearing or something? I am buying a new chain and both sprockets but what else should I replace. Also, is this a difficult fix if I need to get the shaft out?
Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sherriff

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would pull the shaft and check the bearings. My guess is that you one or both your bearings have gone. Check the clutch side to see if that bearing has gone out if that one goes it can put the shaft at an angle going into the chaincase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am very new to working on sleds, what kind of job am I in for and what kind of $'s am I looking at for chain, sprockets and maybe new seals or bearing?

Thanks

Sherriff

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
a chain and gears will be around the 130 bucks, bearings and seal is minimal. drop rear suspension out, pull out shaft and inspect install new seal and bearings install shaft and rear skid

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Definately sounds like your lower bearing where the drive shaft comes through is shot, or fell out. Make sure there are no cracks in the chain case in this area as well. Its not that big of a job, but can be time consuming. If you don't feel comfortable doing it your self, I'd recomend bringing it to a shop. But try to get a quote first, so your not surprised when the bill comes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sherriff,

I got your e-mail but thought that I would post my reply just in case I might miss something.

First pull you undercarriage.

You already have the chain case apart so don’t worry about that.

Remove the Speedo assy under the clutch and pull out the drive shaft to check it for damage.

The worst case is that you’re going to need the Speedo assy, bearings for both sides, drive shaft, chain, chain case, chain case seal, and gears. Don't worry you most likely won't need ALL these parts

It’s not too hard of a job but it does take a bit of time. If you run into any problems just post your question and I’m sure that we can help you along.

Everyone please let Sherriff know if I forgot something. I’ve been up all night and am a bit foggy right now.

Oh don't forget the chain lube. I did that once. It delayed our ride until the parts store opened the next day.[:(!]

·
Registered
246 Posts
The suspensions not too bad. Just tip the machine on its side, pull the track out from under the tub, slip the suspension in, flip the machine back over line up the bolt holes. I find that using a floor jack to lift the back of the machine handy. Just make sure that you rear boggys are backed all the way off and it shoud just drop in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, i jumped in and tore the sled apart, well what I needed to take off anyway. I noticed that when removing the rear suspension, 1 of the 4 bolts(rear) was missing and looked recent. Maybe fell out on the trail and was adding stress to the seal. Anyway, turns out that the seal from thr lower sprocket(chain) was killed. I did not pull the drive shaft right out, I left it still attached on the left side(secondary sheave side). It looks ok from that side but is it necessary to pull that apart as well or can I just replace the seal on the right and add a new chain?

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Sherriff

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If the left side (clutch side) is ok, then you don't need to pull the shaft. Just pull the chain case and put a new seal in (they're pressed in, so you can use a socket to tap the new one in.....be sure to pack it with grease first). Make sure that lower bearing is ok, or else replace it as well......they're cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts