Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to rebuild the engine on my 97 Ultra. The crank went and took out the piston on the pto side. I bought a crank and rebuit the engine. Now there is a rattle when its started that sounds like it is coming from the water pump. Also I was wondering what the proper break in time is and what should be done.

Please HelP!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
If that rattle is kind of like a squealing/whine, it is probably the gear drive on the pump. If your gear mesh changes slightly it can make that sound. This change can be casued by the thickness of a gasket etc. If this what it is, it shouldn't hurt anything, and it may go away after time. As far as break in goes, everyone has their own method. I usually vary the throttle with intermittent WOT or 3/4 throttle blasts, just for a short distance. The key is to vary the throttle and not keep it at a constant RPM for long periods of time, this helps brake in the rings. Braking in the rings will not take vary long, and after a tank and a half, or two, of fuel, you should be good. Some guys recommend that you use regular caster oil during break in, as apposed to synthetic. This helps break in the rings easier, but I have seen it done with synthetic as well. Hope this helps you out, if you have any questions or are confused about anything, let me know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
good info from sinjin588. i concure. another thing to do during breakin is to run a 50:1 mix of gas/oil in the tank for your first tank full. this will help the breakin as well as ensuring you have oil thru the engine in the event of a bubble in the oil lines or the pump. if at the end of that tank of gas the oil level goes down normally, then you're good. good idea to break the engine in over a few hot/cold cycles as well vice doing it all in one day. the heating up, then letting it cool down is also a good idea.
as far as the noise from the waterpump goes, if it is that for sure, i'd keep an eye on your temp light and coolant level. i've seen a few engines go down due to waterpump gear teeth getting totally stripped out. they are plastic and the gear on the crank is steel. if there is a problem, it can wear all the teeth off the pump gear and then you have no cooling. good luck. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, Polaris Doc, I did forget about letting it cool. When you first start, you should run it for a while, then let the motor cool. This allows the new parts to heat cycle until they break in. There is also a procedure for bleeding the oil system, and this should definitely be done. If you do not know how to do it, let me know. Air in the pump can toast an engine in no time. I believe the service manual actually mentions mixing oil in your gas as well for a little extra lube, I would have to check to be certain. If your plastic gear was in good shape when you installed the pump, and provided you assembled it correctly and torqued the bolts properly, it should be alright. Many times what happens is that the gasket may be thicker and it adds a little lash to the gears, causing them to rattle at a high frequency at low RPM. When gears brake in they wear themselves identical, especially when one is plastic, and any little change will cause them to make noise. If they are too tight or too loose then they could be damaged, but this is dependant upon whether or not everything was assembled correctly. I am not doubting your abilities njs, I just don't want to tell you everything is going to be alright, especially since I can't hear it myself. I am just explaining to you various scenarios to give you some ideas as to what it could be. Polaris Doc's info is good, and as he said "Good Luck."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts