Snowmobile Fanatics banner

help out a new cat rider please

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Jim85IROC 
#1 ·
just purchased a 2002 zr500 carb.a big jump from the 75 snojet i rode 975 miles last year.any ways i am intersted in any advice anyone has on clutching on this sled.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks in advance

#2 ·
A buddy of mine aquired one of those, and I haven't seen it, I've talked to him and he says it rocks out of the crate, but if you are looking into aftermarket stuff, I'd say blackmagic makes some cool stuff for Arctic Cats.

"Might Be Crazy But I Ain't Dumb" - Cooter

#3 ·
from my experience Cat usually has a pretty good clutch settup from the factory. After going from your old SnoJet I'd just ride it stock for a while. But if you want a good clutch kit from what I've been told Goodwin Performance makes great kits for Cats.
Welcome aboard Fellow Cat rider!

RtkatZL8

#4 ·
I must have missed something cause in the magazine shootouts when the dealers "prep" the sled(aka jetting and clutching) it usually gains pretty well. Except in Yamaha's case. With Yamahas they slow down after being prepped. Tells me Yamaha sets their sleds up pretty freaking well. D&D is the prefered company of all the cat guys I know. www.ddracing.com

#5 ·
Yeah man, unless you are in weird conditions or something, I would at least try the factory settings out....I know in the 9 miles I have put on my new cat, that I seemed to like the clutching.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!

#6 ·
Nowadays they come clutched very nicely from factory.

"Might Be Crazy But I Ain't Dumb" - Cooter

#7 ·
well thanks for your answers guys and i just got snow last nite and was able to ride a little today but only had three inches so didn't go far clutching seems good and will probably try it for a while before i make any final decisions.
thanks for the input.

#8 ·
Welcome to the AC contingent! The ZR500 Carbed is one sweet sled. As for mods, go with it stock for a little bit. I bet you will enjoy the clutching from it being box stock. But the first thing I would recommend you do is, rejet the thing after 1000 miles or maybe 500. Typically AC's come from the factory very rich. I leaned out my 00 AC 500, by two sizes on the main's and she really came alive. Cleaned up the burble around 6000rpm's.

Last season I added a D&D clutch kit, it really improved the back shifting, and maginally improved the acceleration. A good kit for the money. And now I added a D&D quiet canister. It removed about 5 lbs, and added a healthy sound. The little AC 5's just need some rejetting to be awesome performers. Then late in the season or next summer, then add the clutch kit, or can, or both.

But stay away from Black Magic stuff. Everyone I know who has used their stuff, has hated it. The twin pipes for the AC 5's really limits your riding (it makes the sled finiky, and suseptable to temp changes) and the pipes also split in the seams. D&D makes sweet products that last! (IMHO)

Enjoy you new sled!

Mike

2000 Arctic Cat ZL500 - D&D Racing Can, D&D Clutching, Re-Jetted It, 120 Woody's, Various Appearance Acc.

Edited by - wacky_woodchuck on 10 Dec 2001 13:19:45

#9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by zr5carb:

just purchased a 2002 zr500 carb.a big jump from the 75 snojet i rode 975 miles last year.any ways i am intersted in any advice anyone has on clutching on this sled.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks in advance

[/quote]

#11 ·
I've got a 2001 zr 600 EFI and I just put a Goodwin Performance clutch kit on it. I just got to try it today and it is AWESOME.
Pulls like crazy!!! I researched different companies and I heard D&D is great for motor stuff and parts but everyone says Goodwin makes the best clutch kits. I am very happy with them, and the price is good too. Around $140-$150

P.S. If you're sled has power valves, don't use the arctic cat oil, it sucks, my sled had 600 miles on it and the valves were filthy. I switched to Redline Oil this year.

Bring on the white stuff!

#12 ·
Cat is using a new, full synthetic oil this year that is supposed to be far better than the crap they had last year.<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by zigmontm:

I've got a 2001 zr 600 EFI and I just put a Goodwin Performance clutch kit on it. I just got to try it today and it is AWESOME.
Pulls like crazy!!! I researched different companies and I heard D&D is great for motor stuff and parts but everyone says Goodwin makes the best clutch kits. I am very happy with them, and the price is good too. Around $140-$150

P.S. If you're sled has power valves, don't use the arctic cat oil, it sucks, my sled had 600 miles on it and the valves were filthy. I switched to Redline Oil this year.

Bring on the white stuff![/quote]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.