Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Polaris Indy Trail 488fc, and somehow the edge of the track got torn, at least 4 cleats, from the edge into/beyond the area the the rear wheels run so I need to replace the track, I have worked on engines and such and am handy, but I have never replaced a track. I have all four bolts out of the suspension assembly. What I need to know is how I get the track off the sled, how do I get the front sprocket/gear off to remove the whole assembly. If anyone can send me a link or some good advice, I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's going to be just similat to my Ultra SKS.... and I just did this a little over a week ago..... Here's what I did after i removed the four suspension bolts.

You're going to need to drain the chaincase oil, take off the cover, remove the chain tensionser, and upper and lower sprockets along with the chain. Then remove the remainder of the chain case housing. Now on the clutch side of the sled take off the secondary clutch. Under which you should see a housing that the Speedometer cable goes into.,. Take the cable off, and then remove the housing... Now you should be able wiggle the drive shaft out and the track will be free.

While you got it all taken apart make sure the bearings are all looking good and not questionable....both on the drive shaft (clutch side) and for the jack shaft and drive shaft in the chain case.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know where I can find a good web site exploded view to look at, I have been looking and haven't found any that are worth looking at?
Thanks for the help though, I kinda thought that it was going to entail removing the chain case, but a friend said that he did it differently, so I thought I would ask the 'experts' (or at least someone that has really done it)

·
Registered
199 Posts
yep it's just like high sierra says only i've done it w/o removing the chaincase housing,just get it loose on the speedo drive side and u should be able 2 pull it loose then drop it down and pull the track out.your looking at the exploded view right there in your garage.good luck

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
on my powder special i just needed to remove te chain case cover and the sprockets and everything came off, then i believe there was a bearing holder er sumptin that u had to remove from the inside of the chain case, but just the outside cover needs to be removed it hink

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help! I wanted to get it all back together before the end of the season, but I don't know if I will make it...$$$ and all...am still looking to get a good-inexpensive track.... less than $400 if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
check ur local dealer, tehy may have tracks off brandnew sleds that people upgraded b4 takin it off the showroom floor

·
Registered
63 Posts
This may help. Though your model year is not listed. They are much the same through the years. They also have Skidoo illustrated parts. Cut and paste into browser window. Good Luck
[blue]http://216.37.204.206/Brucker/Polaris_OEM/PolarisSnow.asp?Type=17 [/blue]

·
Registered
957 Posts
Look on Ebay too.... I got a 2"x136" fpr $150 and it was brand spanking new..... I have noticed that the smaller lug tracks tend to have allot more bidding done on them than the powder tracks so you have to be on the bidding with those (I guess that shows how this winter has been! ).

On the track removal.... I've herd that on some sleds you can get away with just taking off the bottom sprocket on the chain case and then slideing the shaft towards the clutch side after you've remove all the bussiness under the secondary.... I just didn't have enough free play to do it that way so I took out the entire chaincase..

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
It won't be that bad.....Sometimes ya gota use your hands and feet if you're working alone to get things to line up.....but with a help it will be no prob. I think the best bit of advice is to Hang the sled from the roof of your shop with a come-along or use an engine hoist to get it a few feet off the ground (rather than fliping the sled on its side)... Being able to precisely control raising and lowering will greatly help getting the suspension holes to line up hence use of a come-along.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by chromev
[br]Do you know where I can find a good web site exploded view to look at, I have been looking and haven't found any that are worth looking at?
Thanks for the help though, I kinda thought that it was going to entail removing the chain case, but a friend said that he did it differently, so I thought I would ask the 'experts' (or at least someone that has really done it)
I didn't think that they made Trails in 2001, I thought 2000 was the last year...anyway this is from a 1998 Trial, but they didn't change at all till they stopped making them.

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1047938607-18580&P=SM-1998-TRAIL-DRIVE-TRAIN

·
Registered
32 Posts
Might as well replace the seal in the chaincase while you have the drive shaft out, and be careful not to rip it when you reassemble it. Does that have only 2 sprokets on the shaft? if it does you can do it without removing the chaincase, still have to take off the bottom gear though. Then the bearing carrier on the clutch side, slide it out of the chaincase towards the clutch then out reverse it for installation. Might as well cut the track to get it off if it's no good, it makes it a lot easier to take out the shaft if the tracks gone.
On putting the suspension back in, the easiest way I have found is to tip the sled on it's side and pull the track out 90 deg from the sled, put the suspension in and get a front bolt in. Pull the suspension back where it belongs then flip the sled back on it's other side and pull the suspension out enough to get the other front bolt in then pull it back and get that rear bolt in and flip it back again to get the last bolt in.
Sounds complicated with a lot of flipping, but I've done it a bunch of times and for me this is the easiest form of suspension wrasslin'

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, thanks for all the help! I was messing around with trying to get the track off easily and ended up just cutting it in two, but it made it much easier to see what I was attempting to get at. I did open the chain case and take off the gears (upper and lower) and then took off the clutch and also the speedo assmbly, and then pushed out the bearing cradle, easy enough to slide out the drive shaft. NOW, going back together when I get the track will be the trick....I have checked around local and even a distance aways (100+/- miles) and haven't found one new for under $400 so I think I will look on E-Bay and other auction sites.
Thanks for the advice all....oh by the way, I wasn't sure what year my sled was, and after looking it over, I am pretty sure it is a 2000, not a 2001....(pertty sure)
regards,
Chrome

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, I just had one other question, I have noticed that they sell the 'clips' separately for tracks, (the clips that go on the inside of the track where the slide rails run on the track) are those REPLACEMENT clips or do you have to buy those for a new track too?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts