Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal. I cleaned the powervalves, and carbs on my wifes 2001 Polaris XCSP600 Edge. After doing so I started the sled up but it just didn't seem to run right. It was fairly warm when I first did this so I was assuming it was just running rich. So I just replaced the sparkplugs and it is a bit colder out today, around 45-50, so I started it back up. When I blip the throttle when it revs from about 1200 rpm to about 1800 rpm it seems that it is misfiring and reving really slow until it hits about 1800 rpm and then it smoothes out. When it warmed up for a few minutes it was less noticable. I'm thinking maybe it is just dumping too much fuel and it can't burn it all? Then I tried putting the choke on to see if that would make it worse and it totally did. It then would barely even run. I did notice that it was starting to backfire at one point as well.

Do you think that something could be messed up from when I cleaned the Powervalves or the carbs? Could it be that one of the gaskets on the carbs got twisted and is letting in some air? Or, do you just think that it is running rich and as the motor heats up it gets better? Or is it a characteristic of this motor? I did notice that last winter it took a while for this sled to idle and run right when compared to my Rev.

Any thoughts?

Pete

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
How old is the gas?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gas is actually from last season. I put stabalizer in it but was thinking it could be bad gas? Maybe I'll siphon it out and replace it. Think that's what it is?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I'd replace the fuel, I had a friend's sled do that same thing once, rotten gas, thought it was apple cider and not gas it was so bad!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just siphoned out all of the fuel and will add new fuel to the sled tomorrow. Hopefully that is the problem. I did add fuel stabalizer to it at the end of last season but won't do that again this year. I'll just remove all the fuel and store it that way. If that isn't the problem what else should I look for?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Originally posted by KnightXC27
[br]crank seals, replace them
if it was crank seals it would be running lean not rich.

i believe its bad gas as well stabil does work but not the greatest. so replace and see how it runs after that

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's def. running rich because when I removed the sparkplugs they were all dark black showing a rich condition. If it were running lean they would have been a grey in color.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added new fuel to the sled today and also bumped up the idle speed. that def. helped out quite a bit. It is running much better now. I'm wondering if the sled was idling too low as it was around 1000 rpm and when I was blipping the throttle it was sucking in either too much air or too much fuel causing it not run properly. Adjusting the idle speed to around 1250rpm it feels so much better. Now when I blip the throttle it revs quite smooth. There is a tiny bit of hesitation some times but hopefully that is nothing.

Pete

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Nice work
I myself never trust old fuel, drain it, put it in your truck to burn and put fresh in your sled.
Sounds like you may needed to do some jetting, get out riding and check it then (under more winter conditions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts