Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I got a 1995 670 mach 1. My speedo just stopped working and I took it out completely to see if it was ripped or something and everything checks out fine but when I hook it back up I get nothing. any suggestion would be great thanks

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
check the speedo cable key! follow the cable down to just under the secondary clutch, a broken key (part number 7 on the following link) could mean that the bearing on the shaft is going out!

http://216.37.204.206/xtremepowersports/Skidoo_OEM/Skidoo.asp?Type=13&A=193&B=29

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could this also cause a rough idle and loss of power or is that something completely different?

I had it looked at by a snowmobile mechanic and he said something about the bearing as well but when he checked it out he said it was fine. but I'm not sure what he's basing that decision on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds stupid but how can I check the speedo cable "key?" would I have to remove anything or can I see it without having to disassemble? thanks

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
first take off the drive belt and secondary clutch, one bolt in the center, then it should slide off pretty easy, it will have a key for it as well so don't loose it! the key will either stay on the shaft or inside the clutch, but it could also fall off.

then once the clutch is out of the way, you will be able to see the guard for the speedo cable, there are three bolts around the housing that the speedo cable screws into. take that outer housing off, behind that will be the key or insert for the cable. you should also be able to see the bearing at this time, you might have to clean up some grease though if you really want to inspect things. to reassemble just reverse the steps.

The key or insert will just slide into a hollow section on the end of the driven shaft. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took everything out and apart like you said rev500ss thanks alot for the exact steps thats awesome. the key or insert is in the shaft. so would this be just the speedo itself?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
is the insert worn out? a simple check would be to unhook the cable from the housing, by the clutch, and hook a power drill to the cable. then run the drill in the forward gear. see if the speedo moves. if it doesn't then it's the speedo most of the time it is the insert though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have had the same problem with my 99 mxz so after 2 speod's i just got a GPS and keep it in my pocket. i figure you realy dont need it when you are riding only when your raceing or topping out the lake in a speed trial and those GPS units are quite acurate

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
there are 3 parts, speedo, cable, insert
pull the cable from the speedo and turn the cable (try). If it turns the cable is broken or the insert is stripped, pull the bearing cup and inspect the insert, does it turn in the shaft, if so replace, if not install into the cable end and check, if all that checks out turn to the speedo, hook the cable up and on the axl end hook up a dril

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so I've pulled out the speedo cable entirely and all checks out good I think, the ends look square but could it still be stripped? I hooked up the power drill and got the speedo working. When I go out for a ride once and awhile it'll work but not for long.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
if the speedo turns when you are running a drill on the cable, then replace the insert. if the speedo only works sometimes when running a drill on the cable, then its time to search for a new speedo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts