Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the screws on the back of my clutch to remove the helix and get inside the clutch are striped (i didnt do it) and im just seing if anyone knows how to get them out without risk of damaging anything. And also where would i be able to find new screws for it

·
Registered
632 Posts
EZ out?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You don't need screws to take out the helix....
The helix is held in by a snap ring. The torx screws just hold on plates that cover the cooling fins on the clutch. The plates are there because the presence of the cooling fins provide resistance and make the clutch less efficient.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
if you have a dremel tool or another small grinding tool you could put in a narrow blade and make it a slotted hear screw. I've have done that on a screw for carb bowls before and then got a new one to replace it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
use either an easy out or cut a slit thru it with a dremel to make it a flathead and get it out that way.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
on the team clutch the torx bolts hold the helix in.

if you can use a hacksaw to cut a groove in them and try a flat blade screw driver.

or you can weld a nut on to them and turn them out.

do not try to drill them out. the bolt is harder than the aluminum and the drill bit will go into the aluminum.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
madcow said:
on the team clutch the torx bolts hold the helix in.
Oops good call, Forgot some newer sleds use TEAM clutches

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
A lot of clutch bolts get loctite, depending what color it is an easy out may break. IMO easy outs are junk and should only be your last resort. When they break off in the bolt you are royaly screwed. I tend to lean more towards welding nuts to broken bolts if its possible to do. Usually will get you what you need.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have had limited success cutting slots on them, soak it in pb blaster, and get a left hand drill bit, they work like magic as long as the screw/bolt is not siezed.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The teams are counter sunk in the aluminum. Best bet is to weld a nut on the head and turn them out. The heat from welding the nuts on also loosens up the locktite.
Good luck, been there, done that.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Dremel a nice groove in it, and just use a flat head screw driver and make sure to use A LOT of down pressure when turning them.

·
Registered
453 Posts
gto0209 said:
I have had limited success cutting slots on them, soak it in pb blaster, and get a left hand drill bit, they work like magic as long as the screw/bolt is not siezed.
X2 Big time!!! With it being a torx, it's already centered, just make sure you are drilling exactly perpendicular to the helix!!! PS use low speed when drilling(in reverse for the LH drill bit).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts