Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went to go change my plugs, and when I went to go pull the one on the right, it snapped in half ( yes, i was turning it counter-clockwise ), and it's still screwed in. How do I get this out? Do I need the head to come off? Will I have to mill it out? HELP! The snow is coming down, and I need to ride!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
get a pic, i had that hapen once with my ttr 125, got out a dremal, dremaled two slots in it then put a screw driver in the slots and screwed out. kinda hillbilly but worked...

·
Registered
287 Posts
i would say to pull the head off but then you will need to replace the gasket but don't go with a after market gasket trust me go to your local dealer and pick a factory one up ,you don't want to try and drill the plug up you can do some serious damage and if you did you might have to pull the head off anyways to pull out metal shavings so i would just pull the top cover off or if the metal of the the plug sits high enuf use a vise scripts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]get a pic, i had that hapen once with my ttr 125, got out a dremal, dremaled two slots in it then put a screw driver in the slots and screwed out. kinda hillbilly but worked...
I've done this many times with busted bolt heads. Works great. And it's not Hillbilly- I like to call it McGyver. If anyonehere is old enough to remember....

Take a pic so we can see exactly what happened. The threads are on the same piece of metal as the hex for your socket. Am I not getting something here? If the glass insulator snapped it doesn't matter, just get the thing out. If there's pieces left inside the combustion chamber we'll go from there.

Bryan

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankfully it was REALLY loose. I was actually able to put needle nose plyers in there, and try opening them and spin it, and out the peice came.. I'm gonna use a wratchet instead of a 4-way for now on.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
another thing is dont wrench hard on the plugs when putting them in just a heads up. they dont need to be on tight to work they just need to be a little taught.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]another thing is dont wrench hard on the plugs when putting them in just a heads up. they dont need to be on tight to work they just need to be a little taught.
Yeah, i know that. Just, they have to be a LITTLE tighter than hand tight.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]another thing is dont wrench hard on the plugs when putting them in just a heads up. they dont need to be on tight to work they just need to be a little taught.
Yeah, i know that. Just, they have to be a LITTLE tighter than hand tight.
correct. I used to tightin them really tight untill i was told not to then i stopped.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I remember back when I was like 10, on my old motoski I pulled out the plug cause I flooded it. Then i forgot to tighten it when i put it back in, LOL (this was actually the first plug I ever took out of anything) then when I started it I got halfway up my driveway and BOOM! out it came LOL. I'll never forget that!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
^LMAO, did it go through the hood? One of the plugs rattled loose on my cousins monte carlo and blew out takeing the threads with it so he has to replace the head.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't see this posted but I use never seize on every little thing.True you don't crank the plugs down but just snug but it's good to use this on everything that's metal to metal.[:)]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]get a pic, i had that hapen once with my ttr 125, got out a dremal, dremaled two slots in it then put a screw driver in the slots and screwed out. kinda hillbilly but worked...
I've done this many times with busted bolt heads. Works great. And it's not Hillbilly- I like to call it McGyver. If anyonehere is old enough to remember....

Bryan
I'm not that Old and I used to watch him all the time. If everything but the threads broke off like in my 350 then use a screw or bolt remover with the left handed threads. You can push it in the small center hole and tap(I SAID TAP) it with a hammer. Then back it out as usual. I think the right sixe remover is a #3. There is 1-4 and they come in a set from autozone or walmart.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Had one break in a V8. Broke right at the threads so the electrode and insulator came out leaving just the threds in the head. Rotated the piston down and then used and easy out to back the rest of the plug out. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
im an avid user of never sieze also works great and ive never had a problem on anything after i coated it with never sieze

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I just broke off a main jet! That was scary but i took a tiny screwdriver and backed it out!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Originally posted by Boss302man
[br]Had one break in a V8. Broke right at the threads so the electrode and insulator came out leaving just the threds in the head. Rotated the piston down and then used and easy out to back the rest of the plug out. Worked great.
Thats what happened to me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by YooperRider
[br]I remember back when I was like 10, on my old motoski I pulled out the plug cause I flooded it. Then i forgot to tighten it when i put it back in, LOL (this was actually the first plug I ever took out of anything) then when I started it I got halfway up my driveway and BOOM! out it came LOL. I'll never forget that!
ROTFL Thats so funny! I did the same on my first sled it was a Moto Ski also, a Mini in fact. I said the sled was running ruff and dad said "You know where the tool box is, clean your plugs" well I dutifully marched my lil 11 yr old butt into the garage and cleaned my plugs and did the same, forgot to tighten. At least I wasnt alowed out of the yard with the Mini so I was at home when it happend.[:I]

·
Registered
61 Posts
At least you guys are putting the plugs back in kind of...I cant count how many times I've been working on my sleds and just omitted to put the plugs back in...boy you sure feel like a dummy when you figure out why it wont start and why you've been pullin' that son of a bugger over for 35 minutes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts