Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a new system for hauling my sled around, but, I dont know if I want to go with a trailer or a sled / truck deck. I am looking for any opinion on which I should buy, why I should buy it, what the ups and downs if each are, and what kind of rider would need a sled deck??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Well I know the Sled Decks are nice for people in the Mountains, or if you need to get to your cabin and its not the easiest with a trailer because of the trerrain.

A trailer can be used year round. Dont have to mess with the truck with taking off the Sled Deck because you need to haul rocks that weekend or what ever. Trailer can be used to haul other toys also, quads, tractor what not. Just my 2 cents. What ever works the best for your situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
i run a ToyUp sleddeck. solid built, easy to load and unload in the truck, and has one of the longer loading ramps among manufacturers. sleddeck pros: sleds stay clean, no extra registration fees, no spare tires to worry about, more manuverability, no loss in fuel economy in transit, stuff stays dry under it giving you lots of extra storage space. cons: can be a little intimidating loading and unloading (until you get it mastered), harder to unload sleds if you dont have reverse(i dont), and it does tie up the bed of your truck. and on that note, it takes about 5 min to load or unload the deck from the truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
This could be pro or con for a sled deck. You are always going by yourself-no carpooling so to speak. The up side is that you won't always have to take that cheap buddy along like if you had a trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
picman said:
This could be pro or con for a sled deck. You are always going by yourself-no carpooling so to speak. The up side is that you won't always have to take that cheap buddy along like if you had a trailer.
You could always get a sled deck with extend-able sides like Marathon has. Enough room for 2 sleds or quads, so you an a buddy can load up and go. That's what I'm looking at getting in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
powderking111 said:
I am thinking about buying a new system for hauling my sled around, but, I dont know if I want to go with a trailer or a sled / truck deck. I am looking for any opinion on which I should buy, why I should buy it, what the ups and downs if each are, and what kind of rider would need a sled deck??
Jonesie is your contact from this site on a sled deck. Ask to send you a couple of pic's on his sled deck from the Isabella group ride last year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
The smart money goes toward a trailer that can be used all year for many uses, and then allows the truck to be "a truck" that you don't have to monkey with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
get the deck, then you can haul 4 thing rather than just 2 if you got a trailor, 2 on the sled deck, and bring your buddys trailor and have two sleds on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
enclosed sled trailer best opttion every thing stays clean, very easy to load, so much room. there is no better room. and if you get a trailer built for sleds they are higher and built for rougher roads. thats what i use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Build one if you can!? Save lots of money and have a trailor that will actually work a lot better an haul more, ill build ya one if your intrested, I built my 4 place this winter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Lots of pro's and con't have been listed for both. If you ask me it's all up to personal preference. Look at what everyone said here and then see what suits you best.
 
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
KRSS144 said:
Well I know the Sled Decks are nice for people in the Mountains, or if you need to get to your cabin and its not the easiest with a trailer because of the trerrain.

A trailer can be used year round. Dont have to mess with the truck with taking off the Sled Deck because you need to haul rocks that weekend or what ever. Trailer can be used to haul other toys also, quads, tractor what not. Just my 2 cents. What ever works the best for your situation.
How MUCH those sled decks cost? Like that fancy fold out one someone posted the video for? Should I take smelling salts with me when shopping for one?

Will it be anything like the $30,000(!) slide in pickup camper I saw last year that required a 1 ton truck to haul it around? (or was it $40,000 - can't remember - but do remember thinking, "that's as much as a fully loaded 5th wheel!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
id probably go with the sleddeck because a trailer is harder to haul and costs money to reg. and it can be risky w/o taillights, plus a sled deck is ideal for sleds and are much more mobile, the downside to it is that its hard to unload a sled and can be a hassle to unload the deck from the truck if u need the truck for something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,382 Posts
If your looking at a two place trailer, most of those are easy to load, unload, and can be easily moved around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
check out your load restrictons where you live. like i know if you do not have a 3500 or bigger in b.c. you can not have two sleds on a deck because you are over weight, just something to remember is that decks are very heavy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
If you have a truck that can do it would go sled deck all the way. Extend-able sides no doubt. Sleds stay clean, no trailer to deal with in tight parking spots, no extra tires or wheel bearings to worry about. And they look pretty cool if your into looking pimp.[^] lol For myself It's a two place sled deck, and a two place trailer for those car pooling mountain trips.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top