Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer my fiance and I bought me a 1994 500efi, for $600, great deal, ran a little crappy after we brought it home found out...on this site... that it was the in tank fuel line. Now it seems that when we block up the machine and pin it the machine only hits 6000 rpms. The machine had a hard time moving also, like to move it from the trailer to the back yard. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what this could be.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Sounds like it's running on one cylinder..

A couple things to do:

-Change the plugs

-Start the sled and run it for 15 seconds or so, then feel the exhaust manifold, see if one side is warm, and the other is cold. (running it longer would be easier to tell, but you can burn yourself)

-Look for a flashing code on the ECU.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked with my fiance and he said it's running on both cylinders. He wondering if it could be anything to do with not getting enough fuel or anything to do with the clutches. This is actually our first fuel injected sled. We will go get some new spark plugs today to see it maybe that'll work.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Get some fuel injector cleaner and add it to the fuel as well.

If you bought the sled non-running, it has probably sat for a while and can use some gunk removed from the injectors.

Also, never under-estimate critters, they may have made a nest in the air box.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How is the battery in it? Those 500 EFI's did not like uncharged batteries. I always tried to keep a fresh one in my 94 that I had.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Pull all of the electrical connectors apart to make sure they are clean and hit them with some electrical greese. Be careful when pulling them apart- they can get coroded. If you find one stuck soak it with WD40 before trying to pull it apart.

When the snow does finally fly run the first tank of fuel with a can of sea-foam fuel system cleaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts