Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a car that I am putting an engine in and I don't know what order the spark plug wires go in.

I found this in a hynes manual on amazon.com

The front of the car would be at the bottom of the picture.

But I also read on another website that the order is different. Here is what I found.

Question: 1990 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 3.1 V6 mileage: 226000. I am currently changing my spark plug wires and have a problem. My 1990-1994 Chilton's manual does not match my old 1987-1991 manual that I threw out. My old manual showed that the spark plugs on the front of the engine were ordered 5-2-3 (left-to-right) and 6-1-4 in back (left-to-right). The new manual shows 5-3-1 in front and 6-4-2 in back. Please let me know which is correct? Dave

Answer: Your new manual is correct 5-3-1 in front and 6-4-2 in back

My car is a 89 Z24 with the 2.8. I know that the 3.1 is a little different but not by much, only the bore and stroke are different. The block is the same casting and the heads are also. I can't bring my self to beleive that the order of fireing is different. Anyone know for sure.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If i were a betting man, which i am, i'd be puttin my money on the picture u posted. My 89 beretta (RIP) had the 2.8 and is exactly like the pic shows. Also my brothers 3.1 in his 89 cutlass supreme has the same firing order as does my 92 Cutlass Supreme Internation, with the 3.4 DOHC engine.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just as a side note on a GM engine the cylinder that is closest to the serpentine belt (fan belt) is ALWAYS the #1 cylinder. If you look close enough you should be able to see that one bank of cylinders are slightly offset as compared to the other bank to make room on the crank to put the connecting rods side by side. How ever firing order can be changed from engine to engine, and so can the cylinder numbering. The only sure way to know is see which cylinder is closest to the serp belt. GM firing orders are constantly changing, however i believe that the firing order on the 2.8 is 1-2-3-4-5-6, but not entirely sure about that. We dont really need to worry about firing order anymore due to the fact that cars have coil packs instead of distributors. Just follow the diagram you posted matchin #1 with #1, 2 with 2 so on and so fourth.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Triumph! I know that only one of my coil packs have the numbers on it. The other two are aftermarket replacments. That should be the give away wich way they are ordered. I think the ones on the 3.4 is in the order of 523541 left to right. Not sure that is what I got in my Monte Carlo I will have to take a look. Once agian thanks, I knew that someone had to have a 2.8 or 3.1 on this forum.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
firing order from my fiero se 2.8 liter was the same as your pic. Triumph was right also firing order is 123456 2.8 plug types are AC Type R42CTS rocker arm cover bolt torque specs are 6 to 9 lbs lol anything else ya need to know?? lol

Bobby
My wife said its Her or the sleds........ I'm sure gonna miss her

Stop Inbreeding....... Ban country Music

1 - 5 of 5 Posts