Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I was riding last night for the first time this year, and it road nice for like 30-45 minutes, then I noticed it wasn't wanting to idle well, well eventually we were all sitting there and it died. Then I goto pull it over, and it felt like the pistons siezed... tried puling it over with plugs out, same thing... then when dad was coming with a rope, to pull it home, I pulled it over, and it pulled nice, and started right up. WTF!?! so I road it home, then went around my neighborhood for about 20 min, and it did the same thing... It seems like after 20 min, it cools down and starts just fine. Anyone have a idea of whats wrong? I dont think it is blown, and there is no clatter in the engine... also, I have looked for the limiter strap on my sled, and have never found it... or a place where it would atatch... Do these sleds have them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Logan Krueger

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
this is interesting ,could be you're clutches binding up ,need to measure youre primary when its cold (gap between the sheaves) ,then when it does this measure it again ,might not be full disengaging?another thing mix the gas tank 50-1 ,and do a compression test

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Pull the y pipe (exhaust) and look up the ports and look for scaring in the piston and cyl.
sounds like you have seized her.
Or better yet pull the head and take a look of the condition of the piston and cyl.

Your sled will not have a limiter strap, it has a bolt, which will be located on the front arm of your rear suspension, and it is adjustable

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, well last night I went and got 5 gallons of gas, and mixed 50:1, and road for a couple hours... never had the problem, so I think one of my oil lines is clogged or something, because it isnt leaking any oil anywhere... thanks for the help guys. Though towards the end of the ride it kind of bogged down for a minute, but then went away, all my friends think that it got oil for a second, so it was rich, but then stopped getting it again... as for it not getting oil, could a pump be out on it?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Keep riding it and you may get a new pump with a new engine!!

why would you ride it with out knowing what happened.
I think you seized it, do what I said in my last post so you will know or not
If there is scoring on the piston and cyl, then find out why
If it is your oil pump you may have alot of problems

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
either the pump went bad ,has a major air bubble ,or the check valves are stuck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so yesterday I got the time to take the exhaust off, and everything looked fine... also checked all oil lines, and had no leaks, and oil went down in the tank after riding as well, so what do you guys think the problem is now? My guess is my clutch is sticking or something...Or could the oil pump be only working sometimes? thanks guys

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay... and thanks for all your help nfg...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok my dads friend is a mechanic, and says he remembers that these sleds have a cable that pulls a valve to open and let oil in that comes from the throttle, that is stuck... could it be that

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
if your oil pump cable is stuck open it would be over pumping oil and fouling your plugs
if the cable is broken and the pump is not opening you blew up your engine

·
Registered
711 Posts
Another scenario to consider is that you may have a or some bad crank bearings. What you described commonly happens when crank bearings go bad, the motor will run fine for a while then lock, let it sit for a bit, then it wil fire right back up, and then lock up again. Had a 98 mach z do this same thing, thought it was an oil issue, checked it out and it stopped seizing, sent it out the door ran good for a while then the bearings really went.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now that kind of sounds like that could be it, but my dads mechanic told us to mix the gas 50:1 so i did, and it runs fine for about a hour then fouls one plug out, and runs on one cylinder, and i marked where the oil was on the oil tank, and it has went down, but i havent had the siezing problem when i mixed the gas, could it still be the bearings, or could one plug wire be quiting so it doesnt spark, because when i pull the plugs, one has a lot of non burned oil on it, and the bottom is wet, not dry like the other... you still think its siezed nfg? btw i havent road it except for that hour above...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
one thing at a time first off
do a compression check, let us know
pull the exhaust y pipe off and look up into the cyls and let us know condition (you should see what is called a cross hatch and not vertical scratches) let us know
grab the clutch and move it up and down to see if there is play in the end crank bearing, let us know.
Go away from your oil issue for now, you need to do one thing at a time

PS, when you mix oil and gas, disconect the pump and you should mix at 40:1 not 50:1

get a service manual and it will show you how to test and set up the pump

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
also turn the engine over slowly and do you hear anything out of the ordinary or does it have tight spots, BE SURE TO HAVE THE KEY OFF!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, sorry forgot to tell you i took y pipe off and did comp test like a month ago... i think compression was between 110-120psi? but dont remember, and as for the cross hatch, i never saw vertical lines, so i eliminated that at that point... and i have turned it over slowly to listen for metal clanking and such, sounded normal... ill have to check the clutch still....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
(had y pipe on while i did comp test) just to clarify

·
Registered
35 Posts
You should have 115-150 psi of compression, by mixing the gas you are giving it enough lubrication to keep the crank bearings from locking up, check to make sure the oil injection pump alignment marks line up when the slack is pulled up in the throttle cable, it isn't your clutch, you have either a crank bearing or a rotary valve bearing going out, while it's tore down check the piston tolerance if that's ok, I would hone the cylinders and re-ring it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts