Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently lost the crank on my indy trail 488. so i picked one up at a scrap yard the crank is in excellent condition the only thing is it was laid up for some years.the conection rods and crank bearings are nice and smooth but he had them stuffed with white greese for rust prevention.so if i put this in my sled it should be good to go, or should i clean out all the greese first before i install it.one more quick question i heard of people modifying there crank case to get more oil to the bearings can someone tell me how its done or do any body have any pics that i can see.thank you.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
my .02 take it for what its worth.
id clean all the grease off it and clean it up real good and install it. dont leave the grease on it. as long as all the bearings are smooth youre good to go. as far as more oil in the bearings cant help ya there never heard of it. the 488 motors were very reliable motors. dont see why thered be a need for it. well ok there was an oil hole drilled out on the 96 xlt motor i believe.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I myself would never put a used crank in IMO

The grease will be fine, it will clean it self out and will help lube the crank at start up.

When I do a crank I do a manufacture crank exchange, fully rebuilt with a one year warrenty for about $500

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
agreed used cranks are risky, but he did say its a trail 488. not a real new sled. alot of us have sled we dont wanna spend 500 plus on. theyre only beater sleds. yes i wouldnt put used cranks in my mod motors. and for the grease being on the crank thats actually something youd have to see to really determine. yes it probally wont hurt to leave in, unless theres some on the race and doesnt allow for proper seating of the case halves. and if its really gooped on there. white lithiu grease is gonna make it hard to start the sled back up. again. this is all determned by what exactly packed is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts