Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 340 Polaris that I might buy. If you are wondering why, review the thread that says "Wanted Polaris 340 TXL" Anyway, the main drive clutch doesn't want to engage smoothly when the engine rpm's increase. I am completely new to snowmobiles, but I am also very good at hands on. How hard is it to replace or fix the guts of the drive clutch. Is it expensive? I saw in denniskirk that they sell a 2 volume video set that explains everything about the polaris clutches. The only problem is that they sell for almost $50. Another question, how hard is it to adjust the clutch so it will not engage untill a high rpm. Just like a high stall speed converter on a auto trans in a car. I am not talking about 7,000 then it slamming together, but a higher rpm range so the engine is up in the power band. I understand the basics with the ramp, slides, weights, and springs, but how hard is it to get it all to work together? Is there a lot of fine adjustments? I am a little worried on how much it is going to cost me to get the clutch working properly. More than likely it just needs taken apart, thoroughly cleaned, lubed up and put back together. The rest of the sled is in pretty good condition, but the clutch just doesn't want to grab. Thanks for any reply. Scott

Wanted!! Polaris 340 TXL any Polaris 340 or TXL. "[email protected]"

·
Registered
29 Posts
A good cleaning will probably take care of it, but DON'T LUBE IT UP!!! that is probably why it is not working right now. The clutch system on snowmobiles should not be greased or even WD40'd the lubricants attract the belt grit and dirt which will cause the clutches not to work properly. As for higher engagement I just put a clutch kit in my ZR600 EFI and the primary is not hard to work on. You should call a reputable shop to find the right primary spring for your sled and you're wants.

Bring on the white stuff!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, now how much do you think it will cost me? What all tools will I need to do it other than the special clutch puller? If I go to the extent of tearing it apart to put in new springs to increase the rpm's before it engages, should I go ahead and put new ramps, slides and weights in? Is it something like: if you take the time to put new pistons, connection rods, etc.. in a engine, then you don't use the old piston rings. If I have it apart, should I just go ahead and put everything in new? Thanks for the reply to the first question. Scott

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question. If I upgrade the primary drive clutch, then do I have to do the same to the driven so they will be, in sync? Like I already said, i am real new to the mechanics of snowmobiles so bear with me. I am learning. Thanks again very much. Scott

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
Ok, to make your clutch engage at a higher RPM, either put in a stiffer spring, or grind engagement notches into the weights where they sit on the rollers when the clutch is open. Then the engine will have to run faster to make the roller come out of the notch in the weight.

What I'd say if you want top performance, go to http://www.hotseatperformance.com and get a clutch kit from them. They are tuned very well, and then you don't have to spend lots of money on different configurations.

"Might Be Crazy But I Ain't Dumb" - Cooter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts