Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought just bought 12k hid's for my 2003 arctic cat zl 550.. We bought the high and low beam bulbs for them with the ballasts..We connected them and once we started the sled they started to flicker, its not an esr so there is no electric start so there is not battery to tap it into. So we connected it to the regular headlights and it produces enough power (12 volts). And yet they flicker, so we called the supplier and they said it needs resitor.. we are worried that if we put them and see that they don't work.. Is this what my sled needs?? Or does it need somthing else like a cancler or a relay.. I would like to know if the supplier we bought it from was right, Please help me on this solution. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Do they flicker when you rev the sled up? or just at idle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
something worth reading maybe: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/117282/display.aspx

But i guess not because it still flickers at higher rpm....

The ballasts are good? Sometimes that can cause flickering. Also a capacitor might help even out the charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bames said:
something worth reading maybe: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/117282/display.aspx

But i guess not because it still flickers at higher rpm....

The ballasts are good? Sometimes that can cause flickering. Also a capacitor might help even out the charge.
Ballasts are brand new. Just got them in today.. Do you think it needs resistors like the person said?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
They probably know what they are talking about, haha. Did they tell you exactly what you needed? And how did you hook them up, especially the ground?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
My opinion would be you need a rectifier, from what i understand, HIDs need 12 DC, sled's put out AC. A rectifier will convert the 12V AC to like 10.7V DC(the efficiency is not 100% that's why the power loss)the ballasts will work with 8-16V if i remember correctly. You can get one at radio shack for less than $4 (this is probably what i would get, more durable than the cheaper ones: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062584) I also read somewhere that running the ballasts on ac will burn them up quick so i would try the DC method before trying to figure out if AC will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bames said:
They probably know what they are talking about, haha. Did they tell you exactly what you needed? And how did you hook them up, especially the ground?
We connected the red lead wire to the original blue wire that plugs into the old headlight harness and the ground plugs into the grey wire in the same harness. But we were told it needs the resistor because it still flickered. The resistor is
(1K ohm 1/4W). We'll try it tomorrow..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Alright, good luck.

If the ground isn't sufficient it may cause them to flicker.

Let us know how it works out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
The guy who told you that you need a resistor thinks that you are dealing with 12Volts DC.
You are not. You have 12Volts AC.

Flicker will occur on new cars when the computer sees a much lower electric demand with the HID vs. the Halogen. The resistor is added to fool the computer into thinking the halogen is stil installed.

Get a rectifier and wire it up as indicated below...

2010101595033137_10767.jpg

You will have at least one wire coming from the stator, which is AC. On many sleds its a yellow wire. Connect this to one of the AC terminals on the rectifier. Now find a good place to connect a ground wire to the frame. Take that wire and connect it to the other AC terminal on the rectifier. The rectifier will have (+) and (-) terminals. These are the DC current positive and negative terminals which will provide power for all the DC sensitive accessories (HIDs) on your rig and will be connected to the battery.

Wire the positive DC rectifier output to your HID wire harness, and ground the negative lead from the HID wire harness. Then fire it up to see if it works. The HIDs draw like 13 amps to strike an arc and ignite. Running current is about 3.5 amps. If they don't light up you'll need to fit a small 12v hobby type battery http://www.hobbyfever.com/product_info.p...ts_id=1894 to your sled somewhere to get the extra juice to start the lamps.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
SnowmobileAddict said:
The guy who told you that you need a resistor thinks that you are dealing with 12Volts DC.
You are not. You have 12Volts AC.

Flicker will occur on new cars when the computer sees a much lower electric demand with the HID vs. the Halogen. The resistor is added to fool the computer into thinking the halogen is stil installed.

Get a rectifier and wire it up as indicated below...

2010101595033137_10767.jpg

You will have at least one wire coming from the stator, which is AC. On many sleds its a yellow wire. Connect this to one of the AC terminals on the rectifier. Now find a good place to connect a ground wire to the frame. Take that wire and connect it to the other AC terminal on the rectifier. The rectifier will have (+) and (-) terminals. These are the DC current positive and negative terminals which will provide power for all the DC sensitive accessories (HIDs) on your rig and will be connected to the battery.

Wire the positive DC rectifier output to your HID wire harness, and ground the negative lead from the HID wire harness. Then fire it up to see if it works. The HIDs draw like 13 amps to strike an arc and ignite. Running current is about 3.5 amps. If they don't light up you'll need to fit a small 12v hobby type battery http://www.hobbyfever.com/product_info.p...ts_id=1894 to your sled somewhere to get the extra juice to start the lamps.
Yeah, the sled puts out AC, he needs the rectifier to convert it to DC, i use the same rectifier as you and the same setup and it works great[thumb] Also, some of the newer kits coming out only need 6amps to start and 3.5 to stay running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The resistors dont work..and for a rectifier I DO NOT HAVE A BATTERY soo how would this help??

So are you saying that you need to cut or splice into the yellow wire comming from the stator??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
None of these things are working. I would need step by step information on how to do it..Another thing i would like you guys to know i have 1 motorcycle kit for the low beam bulb and i gota regular car kit for the 2 high beam bulbs on the left and right sides.

I'm almost thinking having these headlights on this type of snomobile isn't even possible...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
foxmtx1 said:
None of these things are working. I would need step by step information on how to do it..Another thing i would like you guys to know i have 1 motorcycle kit for the low beam bulb and i gota regular car kit for the 2 high beam bulbs on the left and right sides.

I'm almost thinking having these headlights on this type of snomobile isn't even possible...
Dude,

Re-read my post above with the pic of the rectifier. You say you don't have a battery. You may not even need one! [14pt]You will need the rectifer. The rectifier puts out 12volt DC. The HIDs need 12volt DC. The rectifier changes your 12volt ac that your sled produces into 12v dc.[/14pt]

Tap a hot line from your stator (usually its a yellow wire). Use a multimeter to find one. Run the tapped hot line to the rectifier location as indicated in the photo above. Ground the 2 other tabs on the rectifier to the frame, if you don't have a battery, as shown in my pic above and run a wire from the last tab on the rectifier to the postive end of your relay harness on your HID setup. Simple as that. If the lights still don't up (they should) you'll need to tee in a small 12v battery between the postive coming out of your rectifier and the HID relay harness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ArcticCatZR800 said:
SnowmobileAddict said:
The guy who told you that you need a resistor thinks that you are dealing with 12Volts DC.
You are not. You have 12Volts AC.

Flicker will occur on new cars when the computer sees a much lower electric demand with the HID vs. the Halogen. The resistor is added to fool the computer into thinking the halogen is stil installed.

Get a rectifier and wire it up as indicated below...

2010101595033137_10767.jpg

You will have at least one wire coming from the stator, which is AC. On many sleds its a yellow wire. Connect this to one of the AC terminals on the rectifier. Now find a good place to connect a ground wire to the frame. Take that wire and connect it to the other AC terminal on the rectifier. The rectifier will have (+) and (-) terminals. These are the DC current positive and negative terminals which will provide power for all the DC sensitive accessories (HIDs) on your rig and will be connected to the battery.

Wire the positive DC rectifier output to your HID wire harness, and ground the negative lead from the HID wire harness. Then fire it up to see if it works. The HIDs draw like 13 amps to strike an arc and ignite. Running current is about 3.5 amps. If they don't light up you'll need to fit a small 12v hobby type battery http://www.hobbyfever.com/product_info.p...ts_id=1894 to your sled somewhere to get the extra juice to start the lamps.
Yeah, the sled puts out AC, he needs the rectifier to convert it to DC, i use the same rectifier as you and the same setup and it works great[thumb] Also, some of the newer kits coming out only need 6amps to start and 3.5 to stay running.



None of these things are working. I would need step by step information on how to do it..Another thing i would like you guys to know i have 1 motorcycle kit for the low beam bulb and i gota regular car kit for the 2 high beam bulbs on the left and right sides.I tried connecting a rectifer too BUT it says i need to ground it to the battery if i dont have a batter how could i still connnect this?? and another this the resistors and the rectifer as soon as i plug them in i dont see flickering alls i see is nothing not even 1 flicker why is this happening??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SnowmobileAddict said:
foxmtx1 said:
None of these things are working. I would need step by step information on how to do it..Another thing i would like you guys to know i have 1 motorcycle kit for the low beam bulb and i gota regular car kit for the 2 high beam bulbs on the left and right sides.

I'm almost thinking having these headlights on this type of snomobile isn't even possible...
Dude,

Read my post above with the pic of the rectifier. You say you don't have a battery. You may not even need one! [14pt]You will need the rectifer. The rectifier puts out 12volt DC. The HIDs need 12volt DC. The rectifier changes your 12volt ac that your sled produces into 12v dc.[/14pt]

Tap a hot line from your stator (usually its a yellow wire). Run it to the rectifier location as indicated in the photo above. Ground the 2 other tabs on the rectifier as shown in my pic above and run a wire from the last tab on the rectifier to the postive end of your relay harness on your HID setup. Simple as that. If the lights still don't up (they should) you'll need to tee in a small 12v battery between the postive coming out of your rectifier and the HID relay harness.
OK that makes alot more sence...At the top i said we dont have any relays nor canclers...If i need a relay harness which is about another 20 bucks that would make alot more sence
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
foxmtx1 said:
SnowmobileAddict said:
foxmtx1 said:
None of these things are working. I would need step by step information on how to do it..Another thing i would like you guys to know i have 1 motorcycle kit for the low beam bulb and i gota regular car kit for the 2 high beam bulbs on the left and right sides.

I'm almost thinking having these headlights on this type of snomobile isn't even possible...
Dude,

Read my post above with the pic of the rectifier. You say you don't have a battery. You may not even need one! [14pt]You will need the rectifer. The rectifier puts out 12volt DC. The HIDs need 12volt DC. The rectifier changes your 12volt ac that your sled produces into 12v dc.[/14pt]

Tap a hot line from your stator (usually its a yellow wire). Run it to the rectifier location as indicated in the photo above. Ground the 2 other tabs on the rectifier as shown in my pic above and run a wire from the last tab on the rectifier to the postive end of your relay harness on your HID setup. Simple as that. If the lights still don't up (they should) you'll need to tee in a small 12v battery between the postive coming out of your rectifier and the HID relay harness.
OK that makes alot more sence...At the top i said we dont have any relays nor canclers...If i need a relay harness which is about another 20 bucks that would make alot more sence

do you need the relay w/a batteryless system on an arctic cat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this is what i tried from the original low beam plug i connected to the AC side of the rectifier then grounded the other AC pole on rectifier, then from the - pole of the rectifier i connected to ground then the + i connected to the red wire of HID kit. the lights don't work. without the rectifier they flicker. 'HELP'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SnowmobileAddict said:
foxmtx1 said:
None of these things are working. I would need step by step information on how to do it..Another thing i would like you guys to know i have 1 motorcycle kit for the low beam bulb and i gota regular car kit for the 2 high beam bulbs on the left and right sides.

I'm almost thinking having these headlights on this type of snomobile isn't even possible...
Dude,

Re-read my post above with the pic of the rectifier. You say you don't have a battery. You may not even need one! [14pt]You will need the rectifer. The rectifier puts out 12volt DC. The HIDs need 12volt DC. The rectifier changes your 12volt ac that your sled produces into 12v dc.[/14pt]

Tap a hot line from your stator (usually its a yellow wire). Use a multimeter to find one. Run the tapped hot line to the rectifier location as indicated in the photo above. Ground the 2 other tabs on the rectifier to the frame, if you don't have a battery, as shown in my pic above and run a wire from the last tab on the rectifier to the postive end of your relay harness on your HID setup. Simple as that. If the lights still don't up (they should) you'll need to tee in a small 12v battery between the postive coming out of your rectifier and the HID relay harness.
We looked on the website and it said it need 12volts AC for the type of HID's we bought...(off of hidnation.com) and FOR INSTALLING THIS RECTIFIER it burnt a balast up.. Its definently not a rectifier that we need..and the sled produces a steady 12volts-13volts and the balasts NEED 12 Volts AC! NOT DC.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top